1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazing performance - Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Apr 14, 2009.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Re: Amazing performance

I wept when I watched this. The woman has an amazing set of pipes and a pretty good technique and to see her subvert everyone's expectations was wonderful.

As to whether she has a career as a singer or not, it's impossible to tell. She's clearly an Elaine Page fan and I got the sense that she was mimicking her idol in the performance. She certainly didn't feel deeply in character but it wasn't meant to be that kind of performance in that venue I think. Without seeing more of her in varied performances it's impossible to say whether she is innately musical or just a good mimic. Be interesting to see what happens to her.

As for Paul Potts, I was given his CD Christmas before last and I listened to about half of it once before I couldn't stand it anymore. Everything he sings feels the same and with very little sense that he knows exactly what he's singing about. It's a great story when someone gets their 'shot' but he is a novelty act, IMHO.

I'll try this analogy on you - the woman has proven to be a brilliant speller with great handwriting. Now we need to see if she can write.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Good analogy, HC.

I hope she gets more opportunities, a la many of the performers on these types of shows, so that she, and we, can see what happens.

Regardless of that, however, it really was great to see her show up everyone with her performance.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you haven't watched this, you really have to.

I'm not a fan of American Idol or similar shows, but this blew me away.

They just showed a clip of it on MSNBC and then I watched a longer version on youtube.

Honestly, it gave me chills.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

ai ... that was bloody fantastic.

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Isn't this the same opera song the insurance salesman Neal E. Boyd performed on America's Got Talent?

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Nessun Dorma from Turnadot is a fairly popular opera song.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That was awesome. Just awesome.

I loved Simon's review...."I was the only one who thought you'd blow us away, and I was right." Or something like that.

Fantastic.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

That was great, wasn't it? It was almost as good as watching his eyes get wide as he realized just what was happening.

What a performance. She deserves to make it big no matter what happens the rest of the way on this show.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Actually what I think he said was that he knew from the moment she came out that "we'd see something extraordinary."

And it was -- though I'm sure not in the way Simon figured ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Those bloody Brits have quite the touch for music, eh?

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've seen people talk about this and BLOG!!! about this. I finally watched the full on performance. I hate show tunes. I don't watch Idol or shows of its ilk.

It got a little dusty in here. Man she's got some pipes.

I think everyone was expecting her to be a female William Hung. As soon as that first note hit, it all changed.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I saw it first on MSNBC and was expecting a William Hung type performance as well and wasn't interested.

Then she opened her mouth. Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted