1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazing Boswell story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere - couldn't find it - but Thomas Boswell's piece on Lopez Lomong, the Sudanese "Lost Boy" and now American Olympian who carried the U.S. flag yesterday, was fantastic.

Mostly because the story itself is so incredible. But Boswell very skillfully got out of the way and let the tale carry itself. Beautiful, spare writing. I am deeply moved.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/08/AR2008080800009.html?nav=most_emailed

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

See, this to me brings up an interesting conversation.

I was not moved by that piece.

Maybe it was because "Boswell got out of the way," and I understand the principle of overwriting, but it just didn't grab me like a piece such as that usually does.

Does getting out of the way of the story make it less effective? I guess to me, it did...

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Lopez Lomong and "The Lost Boys of Sudan" is a great and truly moving story.
    Boswell's retelling of it was a bit boring to me.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Yup.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Agreed.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Yeah, I didn't think it was great either, partly because Boswell brought nothing new to it, in terms of information or writing. The story of Lomong and the Lost Boys has been told many times, and this seemed like merely recounting the facts one more time.

7. Oh.

Well, fair enough. Maybe I was more impressed because I'd never heard of Lomong.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Nothing wrong with your initial reaction, sirvaliant. Anyone hearing the story for the first time would have to be heartless not to be moved.

9. VJ

VJ Member

I prefer reading columns I didn't see on HBO's Real Sports a few years ago.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The question is, did any columnist from Beijing NOT write a Lopez Lomond column?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Only those that wrote about Lopez Lomong. [/assholecopyeditor]

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The good ones.

I am reminded of Jimmy Breslin and JFK's gravedigger.

Draft saved Draft deleted