1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amateur picture of the year?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 93Devil, Oct 7, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This thread is filled with fail. Except for the picture. Damn good picture.

2. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Like what?

I love the picture.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

IJAG just smeared her walls with lipstick and knows why.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

From a purely compositional standpoint, the little girl's feet are cut off, as are those of several of the soldiers, including her father; there's no sense of place (they appear to be standing in an alley behind at least two buildings, which I'm guessing they're not); there's something in the left front of the picture; and I have no idea what they're doing other than standing in a line.

What's in the photo is good. The actual photo, to put it bluntly, is not.

5. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Composition-wise, it's not perfect. But it does create/stir emotions which I prefer to composition anyway. It's a great photo in that aspect.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The winner of the 2009 Pulitzer is ... Courtesy Photo!

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sorry.

I like the picture. It is good. :)

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I didn't realize she was holding her dad's hand until I read the story. When I did, it made me teary.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was my question, why they were in line. Graduating? Funeral? (I know those might involve different uniforms, circumstances for a 4-year-old to be there, etc.)

Though once I read the story, I loved it too. I've also got a 4-year-old who clings to me like glue :)

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

It's a great photo, in my opinion. Not every photo has to be an artistic, technical masterpiece.

Sometimes, a photo just speaks for itself.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There's a difference from a photo that is snapped and one that is carefully made. I good photographer works with the situation, changing angles, position, cropping, etc., to better capture the moment.

It's a great moment and a good photo.

But, I would react the same if a reporter wrote a good story from a great situation; the reporter was presented with an opportunity for greatness, and missed.

Again, I don't want to be to hard on the photographer. She's pretty good, but not a pro. And her emotional involvement in the situation must also be considered.

Professionals should be able to turn such, and lesser, moments into clear, concise descriptions with impact. That's true for either words or images.

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I didn't either. And Oggie, did you miss the point that she is simply the mother and wife and not a photographer? I agree with those that the emotion of the moment overrides the need for technical perfection.

Draft saved Draft deleted