1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amanda Knox found guilty on all charges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 4, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

isn't the italian boyfriend's father a pretty prominent physician?

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, although don't know how prominent. I was just relaying what that commentator had said. Obviousy, that person may have some credibility issues or maybe doctors aren't high stature over in Italy.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is what gets me. (I've been keeping up with this story for most of the last two years.) One of Knox's flimsy stories -- because she's given several different alibis, as you mentioned -- even involved her saying that she covered her ears because of the screams even though she was in the same apartment. Really?

Don't like the way the prosecution has handled this case, don't like the way the Italian legal system has handled this case, don't like the way the world's tabloids have handled this case, but ... I haven't been convinced for a second that she had nothing to do with that murder, regardless of whether she held the knife.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I have little doubt that she was present and contributed to whatever led to the killing, even though I don't think she actually participated in said killing.

Under the U.S. criminal justice system, though, she'd be culpable for murder in that situation the same as if she'd held the knife, even if it was felony murder or second-degree murder. She might have been able to plead down to manslaughter and get away with a light sentence, but if she'd been convicted of murder in the U.S., she'd have gotten a lot more than 26 years.

Given the vagaries of European parole rules, I'd be surprised if she serves even half of the 26 -- though not as surprised as I'll be if this isn't somehow knocked down on appeal. She might be able to get herself repatriated to the U.S. to serve whatever sentence she does get -- but I somehow get the idea that an Italian prison might be a shade nicer than an American one.

(No idea how parole, etc., would work in that situation, but I know that if someone's brought back to Britain to serve a sentence imposed somewhere else, British parole rules apply.)

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't. Ever read "Catch Me If You Can"?

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not so much. You probably have a point.

Would depend which American prison she ended up in, I suppose.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Technically that was France, and that was 30 years ago, but if this is the way the Italian legal system operates, they probably don't have many standards on their prison system.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes, but Italy was in line to prosecute Abagnale, too (pretty much every country in the world was. :D)

He wrote that he wanted more than anything to avoid Italy after he got out of the prison in Sweden (which came after he got out of the prison in France), because the reputation of the horrific Italian prisons was even worse than the French prisons. That's when he finally got extradited to the U.S. for good.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

TTIUWP

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and in the role of amanda knox ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. shockey

shockey Active Member

um, are you serious? a white, reasonably hot, young american wonan and you are confused? had to ask with no sarcasm font attached.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, really. CNN couldn't script something like this.

Pretty white American girl (1) is accused of killing pretty white English girl (2) in bizarre sex game (3), along with Italian boyfriend/fuck buddy/whatever (4) and an African (5) immigrant (6) drug dealer (7).

This is the kind of case that has Nancy Grace changing her underwear every 10 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted