1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amaker says he has been fired by Michigan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Clemson and USC is definitely a rivalry. So are the Yankees and BoSox, even though the Yankees have dominated ...

Yet, I wasn't comparing rivalries, I was talking about allegiances.

I'm not sure why y'all are getting so heated ... Hell some of you didn't even think Ky. was a destination school when I first mentioned it but then jump down my throat when I didn't think Louisville belonged in the same category.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Kentucky is a destination school -- I have no qualms with you on that.

I still have no clue what you mean about allegiances.

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Freelance, I know the "Little Brother" stuff started well before Mumme, but that was the most recent incident I could remember. Anyways, I'm going to stop bringing up UK football coaches that make me want to stick needles in my eyes in our conversations.

To me, a younger guy who grew up a UK fan and a UK student, I'd say UK is better than UofL. Of course. But so much that it takes away from the rivarly? No way.

The ONLY argument you could make against UK-UofL is that many fans would argue that they'd rather beat IU or Tennessee. But that's just a fake front from UK fans who act like they don't care about Louisville. Those were the big rivalries in the past, and both will comeback in the next few years, but UK-UofL is the definitive rivalry for both teams, and it's every bit as good as the semi/tri-annual ESPN slurpfest that is Duke-UNC.

And for the record, I'm not heated. It's 3 AM on a Sunday morning and I'm bored shitless. So I'm arguing. ;D

4. Yeah, I wasn't talking about you ... Freelance Hack has the personality and likeability of my job's computer tech ... and Buckweaver wants to nail me so bad on something that he tries to cut me down before he gets all his facts together ...

5. Freelance Hack

I'm guessing you just got out of school, so when you were a kid U of L was in its brief lull period.

I go back to 80s when it was the "Dream Game." Louisville owned the 80s. Kentucky owned the 90s. Right now, I'd call the oughts a draw.

And as far as IU and Tennessee goes, there are some Louisville fans who would say that Memphis was the bigger rival. Now it's West Virginia. I don't buy the IU argument since the schools have abandoned the football game, but I can see what they mean in the conference rivalries.

And as someone who grew up a UK fan and eventually became a U of L fan and attendee, I'd have to say the Louisville is the better program. But that's just me being as bored shitless as you. :D

6. Freelance Hack

Your computer tech must be very outgoing and personable.

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

FH, I'm still in school, and vaguely remember listening to Cawood with my grandma. The first game I remember watching was against Michigan in the 1993 FF.

The first year I became a big UK fan was 1995, when they lost to UNC in the Elite 8. Then '96 was when I officially jumped on the bandwagon, sneaking out of bed to watch the tail end of the late games with my dad and following them through the paper and everything.

UofL has never really been on par with UK in anything in my lifetime until recently. I always remember expecting to beat UofL in football, expecting to win the basketball game. My family had UofL season tickets, so I sat through the Ron Cooper 1-10 season and went to the John L. Smith bowl games.

I didn't start disliking UofL until they hired Petrino and Pitino. Pitino was UK basketball for me, I had idolized the guy. So seeing him coaching one of the enemies was terrible, though I didn't blame him. Petrino just seemed like a dick from the get go.

But it's still hard to dislike them b/c of guys I liked that played there. I LOVED Alvin Sims and Tick Roger, Rico Clark and Arnold Jackson. Brian Kiser is one of the nicest men I've ever met. Chris Redman, Mike Bush, Ibn Green, Rashad Holman, Matt Sanders, Sergio Spencer and Larry O'Bannon are all Male kids. I've never hated Louisville.

8. Yeah, everyone likes the know it all guy who throws the term "idiots" around liberally during a laid-back discussion ... ::)

9. Freelance Hack

OK, I'll try to be nice next time. Just try to tell me what you actually meant in your comparison between Duke and UNC.

BTW, I think your Mr. Garrison icon is NSFW.

10. I was just trying to say that someone's opinion about who has the better program - Duke or UNC - probably has more to do with which of those schools that person attended than it does on facts ... "more to do with allegiance than stats" ... because they're so close statistically ...

it's late, it was a minor point that got misconstrued between inadequate writing and someone with a chip on his shoulder...

hmm, interesting point about "Mr." Garrison ... is it better to be proactive or wait for the "judges" to decide? ...

11. Freelance Hack

I covered the underachieving 4-7 and disastrous 1-10 squads in Cooper's final two years. There was too much talent on those teams to perform the way they did. Ron Cooper was a great recruiter, but he lacked the discipline to be a good head coach. Maybe he'll get another chance someday, but I doubt it.

The 80s is really when the Louisville-Kentucky rivalry took shape. Louisville was the better basketball school then. The football teams were even back then, except for the two years Kentucky went to a bowl. Really, the football teams were on par with one another until Petrino came aboard. He pushed Louisville ahead there.

And it wasn't until Jurich came along that Louisville was consistently good in anything other than men's hoops and volleyball. He has made Louisville one of the country's best athletics programs and the best one in the state.

12. Freelance Hack

No need to be proactive -- it's not that provocative.

Draft saved Draft deleted