1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amaker says he has been fired by Michigan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, Mar 17, 2007.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

That would make too much sense. I sense Reggie Theus in their future.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

*clears throat* I hear Jalen Rose isn't really busy these days.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Legion says he still wants to come (of course once his hangers on start talking to him, who knows what happens).

"I'm still committed to Michigan, as long as I have players around me like (incoming recruit) Corperryale Harris and (current player) DeShawn Sims," Legion said.

Still, Legion -- a 6-foot-5 guard out Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va. -- had strong feelings about Amaker's firing.

"I'm surprised, shocked and disappointed," Legion said. "Coach Amaker is the coach I wanted to play for."

Andy Katz lists possible replacements:
    Washington State coach Tony Bennett, Southern Illinois coach Chris Lowery, former Golden State Warriors coach Mike Montgomery, UNLV coach Lon Kruger, West Virginia coach John Beilein as well as ESPN analysts Rick Majerus and Steve Lavin

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sure, they can't get enough of ex-Fab Fivers with Ed Martin connections. :eek: :eek:

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's pretty clear now that the Coach K coaching tree is bearing about as much fruit as the tree it's an extension of, the Bob Knight tree.

Bob Knight begat Coach K. And Dave Bliss, Dan Dakich, Steve Alford, etc.

Coach K begat Tommy Amaker, Quin Snyder, etc.

6. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

While I dislike Puke as much as anyone else, Coach K has had his ups and downs with his coaching offspring. Jeff Capel brought most of the players into VCU that are giving Pitt a run right now, and then moved on to Oklahoma. Brey is also a K disciple, and he's done alright at a football school.

7. nowhat

nowhat New Member

All I ask is why the hell it took this long? Did it have anything to do with his wifes position at the university?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Forgot about Brey . . . .

9. joe

joe Active Member

Amaker got more rope than most coaches, especially with his record in the Big Telleven. His teams always seemed to underachieve despite having some of the most talented athletes in the conference. At some point, that comes back to coaching. He parlayed that one dude (can't remember his name; freshman at Seton Hall who was Kevin Durant without the freakish talent and toughness) into his gig at Michigan, kind of like Alford parlayed one NCAA bid at Missouri State (SMS) into his gig at Iowa. Not to say he can't become a good coach, but the Krzyzewski tree offspring seemed to get good coaching jobs before they had really proved themselves.
    At Missouri, it came down to Snyder or Self. Self would have elevated the Mizzou program to the extent that Snyder crushed it, but Self would have been UCLA's top pick when that job came open, so he wouldn't be here now anyway. He was headed to a career job whether he was at Illinois or Missouri. Oral Roberts to Tulsa (Elite Eight) to major program to career job. And there are only a handful of career jobs in college coaching: UCLA, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas(ish). Kansas and North Carolina have the Naismith bloodlines, Duke is K forever, and UCLA is Wooden.

10. You don't consider IU and Kentucky career jobs?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, it did. Probably bought him a year, at least.

12. Obviously Kentucky has richer blood lines but Knight showed what could be done at IU and, even though I can't stand the prick, was responsible for the team Davis took to the Final Four a couple of years ago ...

Draft saved Draft deleted