1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMA declares obesity a disease

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You can use your dialing wand to call the obesity hotline.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or they can be ridiculously ripped and athletic. How many NFL linebackers and fullbacks fit that description? How many pro fighters and wannabe pro fighters?
    It won't be long before we start hearing stories of muscleheads somehow using Medicare to pay for protein shakes at GNC.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought you people were supposed to be jolly?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The majority of the population is NOT way overweight (more like moderately) so I think the idea of morbid obesity gaining the status of disease/disability (and thus government financial support) is not going to go over well with the public at large.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This made me laugh.

And the majority of us are. :D

6. Its' already happening.
    Fat fucks on disability for diabetes, hypertension, joint issues (Helllllllo Scooter Store!) and many other issues all related to obesity.
    It's really not much different than smoking and alcoholism which leads to cancer, cirrhosis and other issues.

But I agree with you ... For me, labeling obesity a disease jumps my line in the sand.

My wife works in the medical field. I told her about this and she was pretty blase' about it; because of the issues caused by obesity.
    She treated a woman for diabetes - some fatass on a scooter. Saw her the same evening at Golden Corral with a plateful of dessert. She saw my wife and put a sheepish look on her jowly face as she motored to her table.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

"I can't make it to work today....my fat is acting up again."

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If he were alive, Mitch Hedberg would have to update his alcoholism/lupus routine.

http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/annb96/comedy-central-presents-alcoholism

9. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

It's not a disease, it's genetic.
    But watch. These people are far more judged than gays, who have the same genetic argument. We'll see if this really benefits the obese.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

NFL linebackers and fullbacks aren't who this is aimed at. The average guy on his couch watching the NFL at 6-foot, 225, is considerably overweight, and pointing to Jerome Bettis ain't gonna change that. Guys who are the exception to the rule know that. Guys who try to justify themselves by pointing out the exception to the rule? They ain't it.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Being poor is also correlated in living in places where you don't exactly feel safe going outside for a walk or a run.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Being gay is genetic?

So there is a gay gene? I bet gay genes are ravishing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.