1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMA: Cheerleading is a sport

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 9, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This guy doesn't understand how anybody can question any decision that would benefit cheerleaders.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
    OscarMadison likes this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't consider it a sport but I knew a few very smart cheerleaders.
    One went on to the Ivy League and became very successful at bar.
    Cheerleading was used only to spice up the academic resume.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hey, Lyla Garrity wound up at Vanderbilt.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's more a sport to me than freaking golf.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

There's not really any athletic department money to get their fingers into, not in most places where teams conduct fundraisers for pretty much everything and the school districts only pay for coaches and facilities. What this ruling could do is ensure that cheerleading coaches, or whatever you want to call them, are actually trained in some way. There are a lot of catastrophic injuries in cheer and I think that stems from poorly trained coaches pushing girls to do dangerous stunts without regard to safety.

But in regards to the sports section, no, cheerleading will never be a sport.

6. outofplace

I wouldn't bet on that. If more state associations acknowledge it as a sport, as New York's has already done, that gives cheerleader parents ammunition when they scream for coverage. I remember how thrilled a former SE of mine was when that state's association officially ruled that it would not be a sport because he could always remind anybody who complained about that fact. All it takes is enough complaints and a higher-up who is willing to listen and you've got cheerleading results and stories in your sports section.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Doesn't matter. What's already happening is that papers are trimming coverage of high school sports pretty much across the board. If we're not doing much with, say, golf or track or tennis or softball other than agate, then cheerleading parents can bitch all they want but won't get stories. Agate? Who cares? Just a paragraph of team scores, I guess.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. outofplace

That would be applying logic and reason. There are plenty of newspaper higher-ups who don't do that when they get stuck listening to some parent (or parents) complaining.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, the cheerleaders at my local high school and at college often do their "2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate!!!" cheers in the middle of their uneven parallel bars routine, while they are doing their layout sequence on the beam or at the apex of their vault.

A 10-year-old Level 8 gymnast has more athletic skill than a high school or college cheerleader. They are booty-shaking eye candy, with minimal tumbling skills when compared to gymnasts ( I make that comparison because that's who they often compare themselves to). Period.

The college down the road sponsors a competitive cheerleading team. They try to make it sound legit by calling it acrobatics and tumbling. They just won another "national championship" by beating the four or five other teams that sponsor it. The NCAA doesn't even recognize it as an emerging sport. Because it's not.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sport or not, it sure does beat the shit out of some of those girls. Lots of knee braces, splints, etc., in evidence among the squad.

Also, and this may not be the case elsewhere, but cheerleading can be an expensive endeavor. Good friend's granddaughter cheers at my son's high school, and per my friend the upfront cost to the parents is about $3K to $4K. A lot of that is, of course, nonsense stuff -- the ribbons and the tee-shirts and the jackets and the yoga pants, etc. -- but apparently a lot of it is seen as necessary in this day and age.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nobody ever raises more money at a car wash than the cheerleaders do.

Maybe the boys' water polo team if they catch the soccer moms heading out on a Saturday.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Tell me about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted