1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I the only person who doesn't know why Paris Hilton is a story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Jun 9, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wondering why this Paris Hilton stuff captivates people? Think of the fireworks scene in The Naked Gun. Wasn't it silly for Drebbin to be saying, "Move along, nothing to see here."

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's a story because it's on-going misfortune to someone who basically has life better off than we do -- if you use possessions and money as the standard.
    Besides, you never slowed to watch a car wrreck

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Casty, you are not the only one...I vented out in a previous Paris thread about this. Enough coverage already! :mad:

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It's the cult of celebrity. But instead of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, you have People, US Weekly, the National Enquirer and The Star.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Casty, you should know the answer to this. It's the cult of celebrity.

Why were 10 billion words written about Princess Di's death?

I feel truly sorry for Paris Hilton.

Just another fucked up person in a truly fucked up world.

It's part jealousy and a huge dollop of schadenfreude.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Americans flock by the millions to watch Entertainment Tonight early every evening. This is just the next logical step, sadly.

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

The only thing worse than the wall-to-wall coverage of Paris Hilton has to be Nicole Richie pimping the new Simple Life on every late-night talk show.
    Really, Paris isn't the problem.
    There's plenty of other spoiled brat celebrities who think the law don't apply to them.
    The problem is that she knows how to work the system and the celebrity media cult eats it up, every time.
    I'll put even money on her creating some kind of scene in prison next week. Paris can't go two days without seeing Paris on television, after all.
    I'm guessing she'll go on a hunger strike, stand in her cell naked and shave her head, or try to hang herself. Or maybe all of those.

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I guess my question really should have been this: Why is it that I don't give a rat's ass abot any of this? If what shot said is right, that millions flock to watch Entertainment Tonight, then I need some analyst to explain why I've never seen it.

9. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I don't even know why she's in jail, and I'm too lazy to look. All along I've just assumed it's a publicity stunt or a reality show, or both.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll never understand how Paris got THIS famous... I mean, she's an heiress/socialite/rich bitch with the sex tape who is on TV, but I'll never understand how someone who is essentially known for going to clubs has reached an A-list level of fame...

That said, I do understand the fascination with this story. Nobody is middle of the road on Paris. There are people like most of us, who hate her like a sickness, but there's also the people who buy her perfume, watch her show and have made her famous enough that she can get seven figures for showing up for a club opening...

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's all relative, though. Even if millions of people watch Entertainment Tonight each night, that leaves hundreds of millions who don't. Hilton's saga is just another three-days-and-done story to keep the wheels turning.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I told a co-worker that I thought it was strange that Paris is the famous one, given that Nicky is more attractive, more intelligent, and seems halfway interested in accomplishing something in her life.

She stared at me like I'm nuts and said "So you're asking why the drunken whore with the sex tape is more famous?" Yeah, guess I hadn't really thought that one through.

Draft saved Draft deleted