1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I the only person who doesn't give a whit about Britney Spears' shaved head

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Feb 19, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I apologize for even bringing this enormous triviality up to our board. But it got to me when the newscasts last night and this morning were actually leading with this non-story. And the Today show and Good Morning America were interviewing psychologists to determine why Britney Spears did it.

Somebody please explain to me why I'm supposed to care about this and why it's a news story. I know I'm an old curmudgeon but I can't believe I'm the only person who believes there are a ton more important things to put on a newscast than this.

Again, I'm sorry for bringing it up again but I can't escape it and I need to know why.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I didn't even know this had happened until I saw this and other threads on the topic. Honestly? Eeh. Who cares?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I agree with my two highly esteemed colleagues.

4. no, there is no real reason to care...however, it is news. She's one of the most famous people in america and she's cracking up in front of our eyes. I'm not sure it deserves a lead story billing, but there are plenty of people who are into this stuff....

On a similar note, i'm sick of all these entertainment shows who "wish her the best of luck", etc, when in reality they not only don't wish her luck, but if they value their jobs, then they want only the worst for the people they cover. Ryan Seacrest would be out of a job if Spears, Lohan and Hilton were quietly enjoying their celebrity status instead of fighting multiple disorders and addictions while still in their early 20s. The hypocrisy of it all makes me sick (though i did just post a picture comparing spears to private pyle so take my rant for what it's worth)....

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I assume you mean give a shit?

I'm with you. WHO FUCKING CARES????

Just like Anna Nicole. Tragic she died, yes. But do we need wall-to-wall coverage a week later?

NO.

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Just one more question for American Eagle ... "one of the most famous people in America?" Really? I find that heard to believe. What has she ever done to rate that fame? In my world, not a thing.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

whit: n.
    The least bit; an iota: "doesn't give a whit what was said"

Today's vocabulary less for Norman.
    You're welcome

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

well, she was pretty hott in that catholic school girl outfit back in the day.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I think he meant shit.

10. I'm not saying she's the most talented or most accomplished person in America, but certainly one of the most recognizable celebrities. The fact that you and I know so much about her without being able to even name more than one or two of her songs is telling in my opinion. She and her friends might be mostly media created, but the fact is, she's everywhere--you can't escape her (thanks to the media i guess), so that is what i meant by one of the most famous....sad but true

11. No, but it is really funny stuff to stumble across an E breaking news update and see some of those anchors try and cover a serious story. You know, squinted eyes, nodding head upon every comment from someone. Oh, the drama!

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Folks...he's trying to keep the thread title suitable for work. Whit is just as appropriate.

Draft saved Draft deleted