1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

am i the only one who finds the nfl boring?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HoopsMcCann, Oct 7, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: am i the only who finds the nfl boring?

The old Spenser's are the best. I could read them in rotation for the rest of my days, I fear.

2. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

This one's early 80's vintage.

I think Parker intended to quit writing them when he wrote wrote that gunfight in the desert one where he assembled all of his badass buddies in a house and had a small war with the local gang who were terrorizing the town; but people bought the stinking thing--I have a used copy myself--and when he realized people would buy 'em no matter how loosely or poorly he wrote, he just kept on writing. The money's too good, and I certainly don't blame him in the least.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah, I used to like Spenser books, but not anymore.

It's like he's just mailing them in for the cash. Too cute, and not enough meat.

Read the Lucas Davenport series by John Sandford. Good stuff, all of them.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

But does Lucas Davenport have a flawless girlfriend who picks at her food and only keeps a ritz cracker in her cupboard and a stalk of celery in her refrigerator for sustenance?

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

No.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Exactly.
    Only reason it gets turned on in my house is if I am bored on Sunday afternoons, but either have to be real bored or the weather has to be really shitty.

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I know this is going to sound crazy, since everyone wants a college playoff (and I do too), but I dig the college game because every game counts -- a ton. Lose one and a team is done.

As someone else said, if the Browns had beaten the Pats today, it would've meant a lot for the Browns but nothing to the Pats -- they're still going to win the East going away, and they're still going to be the co-favorite to come out of the AFC.

But when USC lost to Stanford Saturday night, its season was effectively over. Yes, the Trojans still have an outside shot at going to the title game, especially if they beat Cal and Oregon. But that one game meant that USC no longer controls its own destiny. Plus, Stanford was a 40-point dog. That's a huge upset. When Miami plays New England this year, the Dolphins probably won't win. But if they did, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But when Appalachian St. knocks off Michigan, or Syracuse beats Louisville, or Stanford shocks USC, it's a huge deal.

Or the LSU/Florida game. LSU was playing to become number one. Florida was playing to keep itself in the title race. Now, the Tigers have faced their toughest test. The Gators? They're relegated to hopes of an SEC Championship game appearance and a possible BCS appearance.

That -- the hanging on every minute of every game because the season is on the line -- is what makes the college game more appealing to me.

Plus, you get to witness the Cinderella stories. Teams like Boise St. that crash the party. Or the rise of Rutgers last year. Or Illinois. Or Kansas and UConn and South Florida undefeated through six weeks. Sure, UConn still hasn't beaten anyone and Kansas isn't 100 percent proven, but its a good story.

To me, college football just has so much more to offer than the pro game. But that's just me.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Mine too. You gotta love the NFL when they talk about the parity... shit, this year's MLB postseason has more drama than your average NFL regular season.

I'll watch football because of my fantasy-team involvement, but for me football really doesn't start until MLB playoffs.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I do not want to live in a world without the NFL.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I used to think that way. I don't kneel at that altar anymore, and when I feel like doing so, I watch my old tapes.

This shit is for the birds.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

agreed with football, but i quit watching college basketball in the 90s ... unless it's the tournament, it's boring as hell.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Except that last year's national champs lost in October. And the two teams that tied for the national title in 2003 both lost a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted