1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I the only one who doesn't get Sacha Baron Cohen?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You guys are all old.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Thank you. That cuts straight to the heart of why I don't like Borat.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Beer us, noob.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Awesome.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No Corona. No American light beers, either. Serve real beer or nuke yourself.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think Andy Kaufman was brilliant. I think Cohen is not.

At times it was hard to tell what Kaufman's point was.

Cohen's point is... you're a dumbshit.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Just got back from Bruno.

It's largely a big miss. The Bruno character was good in the TV version of the show when nobody knew who Cohen was. Now it's nearly all staged and the film is a lot weaker for it.

Certainly the film is WAY over the top, but in the Internet age it's not all as shocking as you might expect. The large rolling belly laughs of The Hangover were nowhere to be found in this one.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Count me in here. I tried watching Borat on my flight back from New Zealand last year. Got 15-20 minutes in and it became simply painful and -- yes -- cringeworthy.

I equate SBC a lot to Andy Kaufman in that I never got him either. Never saw the appeal and never thought he was funny outside of "Taxi."

Then again, with one notable exception (Beavis and Butt-head), I like my humor to require some brainpower.

9. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

I laughed when I watched Borat, but I felt unclean afterward. With the exception of the frat boys in the RV, his foils were sympathetic.

By reprising his shtick in Bruno, SBC is no longer a satirist.

He's a bully.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think his comedy is about him at all, but in the reactions he produces and situations he sets up.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Based on this ... http://www.newsweek.com/id/205872 ... you have to think he makes sure to get the reaction he wants.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've been to Fort Smith. I'd never describe it as "a Wild-West-meets-Old-South city." Was the "popular local bar" Papa's? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.