1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I the only one who doesn't get Sacha Baron Cohen?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Seconded.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fucking intolerably unfunny.

3. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Again, this is funny. SBC is not.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The method is quite different, but I get the feeling there's more than a little of the Andy Kaufman comedy-as-performance-art (or is it performance-art-as-comedy?) approach with Cohen. It's up to the audience to get the joke, but the audience is often never aware just what exactly is the joke.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All I know is that after the opening 20 minutes, Borat was about as funny as double
    pneumonia.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just don't get the appeal of "comics" who are mocking innocent people just because they aren't as sophisticated or intelligent as the comedian thinks they should be.

I didn't get Tom Green either. Pranking old people just didn't make me laugh. It made me feel sorry for the old people.

Alan Funt was always good-natured about the stunts on Candid Camera. Those two seem much more mean-spirited.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't find Cohen or Cook funny.

8. Never thought much of Tom Green either.
    I can appreciate the Jackass crew, who make "comedy" (using the term loosely) by doing stupid shit to themselves.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Cohen has ruined GQ for me. Gross.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This is kinda what I was going to say. Andy Kaufman became a lot funnier in retrospect, after he died young. Like Cohen, he was better when forced into a character with some boundaries, as he was on "Taxi." A lot of the other crap Kaufman did, with the pro wrestler and so forth, might have been satire, but it really wasn't funny. Ditto Cohen and much of his schtick.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He's EXACTLY like Kaufman in that neither of them make any sense and are frigidly unfunny.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It was sitting on the mag rack at Publix yesterday.

Somebody had nabbed a couple of subscription drop-in cards from Transworld Surf and covered him up. :D

Sadly, my current phone does not have a camera to capture that moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.