1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I the only one who doesn't get Sacha Baron Cohen?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ali G was his best character by far. Unfortunately, the movie version of that was done before the show had hit big in the US and he's too recognizable to do another one.

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

They are so unalike as to cause a gaping hole in the universe when appearing in the same sentence.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Alabama football fans love Ali G.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I can't stand Cohen. Sure, Borat was funny, but now it's just stupid.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I really don't find Sacha Baron Cohen to be very entertaining or funny.

The fact that he's nailing the gorgeous Isla Fisher, though, means he must have something going for him in the personality or equipment department.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not funny. Never been funny. Not gonna be funny.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Borat had some funny moments mixed with its cringes, but Bruno looks like an egg. It speaks more to people's lack of shame to engage these characters at all.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think Ali G and Borat are really great characters, but I kind of got sick of Borat after so much exposure. I'm not as big on Bruno, but I think the guy is insanely talented.

There was talk a while back about Cohen starring in a Freddie Mercury bio pic. I was looking forward to it, but haven't heard anything about it actually getting produced.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

This sounds about right. The show was pretty good, but I don't think the characters translate in such large doses. And I'm not into the gotcha-type of comedy either, but the young 'uns sure like it. (And yes, it seems that many of us are getting old). And I liked Cook the first time I saw his standup (a long time ago), but it get old really fast and I can no longer stomach him either.

10. "When will I get to make romance inside of you?"

11. C'mon guys. This line will never not be funny:

"My wife...she dead. HIGH FIVE!"

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd like to ask that of Isla Fisher. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.