1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mjslovin91, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

This weekend at The Jake, the parade of outdoor hockey games will continue when Michigan plays Ohio State. The Indians, who are hosting the event, have decided to open press box seating to the public. Those seats are ridiculously expensive, but am I wrong to think that this is absurd? Is there a precedent for this? Hopefully the guy with the foam finger next to me lets me get some work done.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111219&content_id=26194316&vkey=pr_cle&c_id=cle

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

All of these outdoor hockey games are silly.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've never seen press box seats advertised for sale like that, though it doesn't mean people haven't been paying their way in for years, especially at college football games. Of course it's absurd, but they'll sell out. And hopefully you'll get to enjoy the better buffet too. Though it would be funny if they had a hot dog stand in a corner with a "MEDIA" sign on it while the paying customers get a carving station and dairy bar.

And yeah, apparently the outdoor hockey cash machine isn't done yet.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My guess is this is a bad vantage point for the game anyway. The press box is basically at one end of the rink, high above the action, and closed off from hearing anything.

Where will the media be seated?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I see what you did there.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Will there be an announcement that it is a working press box and cheering of any kind won't be allowed? I'd just love to see the looks on the faces of fans that paid for seats in there.

Predictor had a good question. Is the press actually going to be in the press box for the game?

7. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

I haven't heard anything that would indicate otherwise. I'll definitely come back after the game and update this thread. I don't think they can tell fans not to cheer, even though that would be hilarious.

8. Illino

Illino Member

This sounds like something the owner of a Cleveland sports team not named the Cavs would do.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I've been in an FCS press box that was too small to have enough of a luxury box level to accommodate demand, so a lot of the booster types sat on the top row of the press area and cheered. The rationale was that there were more seats in the press box than there were legitimate media members to fill (this was true) and there were people willing to pay to sit up there, so they sat up there and screamed through the glass windows at players who couldn't possibly hear them.

Not saying it was right. Just telling you this ain't the first time.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"Am I overreacting?"

yes.

It's still just college hockey.

11. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

I don't disagree with that at all. It's an MLB press box and a college hockey game. I'm sure there are plenty of open seats. But there's still, you know, the whole "working" press box thing.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I appreciate any disgust generated by the sight of undeserving blowhards rooting on the home team in the press box, but unfortunately, the cat in this case is so far out of the bag, it's been run over six miles down the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted