1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I Next?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by harbinger, Nov 13, 2008.

1. harbinger

harbinger Member

With just about every newspaper/magazine/website downsizing almost quarterly, it's not a bad idea to take a look at the people who are most targeted and for the survivors to ask themselves: How long before I fit one of those categories?

1. National beat
    2. Secondary beat
    3. Backup beat writers
    4. Bureau job
    5. Age: over 40
    6. Among highest paid
    7. Most tenure
    8. Least tenure

I see there are some hiring managers who visit this site. Given how much effort they've put in to come up with lists of possible layoff targets as part of their job, it would be generous if they could be honest and provide their own lists of what's getting slashed and in what order. I know much of this is repetitive, but I just thought it would be good to put it all in one place.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think tenure matters at all.

Right now, national beat is a euphemism for "waiting to be bought out"

Higher salary definitely makes you a bigger target.

I think preps guys, even ones in a bureau, have better job security than some of those who are on a college beat.

If you live and report outside of your circulation area, that's another way to know you're fucked.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think copy/layout editors are in a tenuous spot because papers now have the technology to plays the designers and copy editors one one location and produce several papers.

Not as well, but more cheaply.

4. I wish I didn't believe that age and experience were factors that made you more likely to get jettisoned, but I think they are. That said, given the fact that the whole damn business seems to be about opinion these days, the bigtime beat guy may well be endangered more than any other.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Depends on where you are. If it's a union shop, it's generally based on how long you've been there.

6. harbinger

harbinger Member

The role of beat guy is evolving more than any right now. They better be good bloggers, be able to write opinion, and still break stories. They have to be better on deadline now because they're writing for the web, not next day's newspaper. The days of beat writers being objective chroniclers are over.

I think beat writers are more valuable now than ever.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Harbinger should be telling, not asking.

8. bake1234

bake1234 Member

Does performance - or talent or ability or whatever - factor into it at all?

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Now that most places are cut basically to the core, here's who I'm seeing is in danger:

1/Writers who won't/can't work the desk
    2/Deskers who can't/won't write
    3/Anybody who can't/wont pull an agate shift
    4/Anybody who has a negative attitude toward multimedia
    5/Anybody who says "that's not my job" to just about anything

I can also say that if my title included the words "assistant" and "editor," I'd probably be worried.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:-[ Ahem.

Only if you're lucky.

11. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

No, which is why I'm becoming more bitter by the day. We're told when we're young that if we work hard and make ourselves the best we can be, we'll be successful. We're also told a fat man in a red suit flies a sled powered by reindeer, stops at every house in the world within a scant few hours, falls down the chimney to deliver every kid in the world presents (he apparently gives more to kids from rich families), and has the stomach to eat milk and cookies at every house he illegally invades. We're also taught the way children should celebrate the resurrection of Christ is to worship a bunny that lays eggs.

It's all a big f'in lie.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thing is, we stop believing most of those when we're kids. That first one lingers a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted