1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I mistaken about this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Derek_W, Dec 1, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Methinks that Tom Petty is Derek's editor. There's no other excuse I can come up with for his vitriol toward the kid.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fine. kid is right, as i've said.

"please continue to butt heads and lose your reference concerning this matter kid," said tom, who still thinks mert is a cockring.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

mertwindu is my new hero!!!

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

big fan of cockrings, eh?

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Hey Tom, which poster on this thread has used that term the most? Oh right, you. Might be time to take a good hard look in the ol' mirror.

By the way, imagine my shock that the jackass who thinks bad grammar is nothing to worry about is also the one whose vocabulary predicates on words like "cockring."

Nice work. Go ahead and get your last word, or two, or ten. You're still useless.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Tom, you are the only one here over-reacting. Your attacks on this kid have been absolutely ridiculous. It really does seem like you can't bring yourself to side with a part-timer who happens to be right against a sports editor who is absolutely wrong.

Amazingly enough, there are some sports editors who are complete fuck-ups. I've worked for two of them and couldn't get away fast enough.

First of all, it does matter if the editor is making things in the kid's work sound awkward. If I read what this kid is talking about in a story, it would make me stop and wonder what the heck was going on. That is the last thing you want, to have a verbal roadblock in a story, even a small one.

I understand you don't want to encourage Derek to fight any more with his editor. So why not just say that? Why not just suggest that as a part-timer he should be very careful if he finds himself arguing with the boss?

That would have been much more helpful than attacking the kid.

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

DUDE, do NOT hate on the Hello Kitty thongs. The girls go wild for them!

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Is it true that before he could drill her, she pulled away and he landed on the floor?

9. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

So you're upset at a kid for, as you see it, blowing an issue out of proportion?

And you post stuff like this?

If you're going to practice polemics, at least be good at it.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you still miss the point, which isn't real surprising. if the kid works for a small weekly, the least of his worries (clips) should be the placement of the word said, cockring.

11. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

It's easy to miss your point when it's so misguided. YOUR point is that the kid should worry about other things you deem more important. YOUR point is insignificant here -- no matter how much you want to control the discussion, no matter how important you think your opinion is.

The kid's point and, therefore, the point of this thread is that he's trying to get better. That's what is important to him. So he came here for a suggestion on this specific matter and you shit all over him. Good for you.

I don't think anybody who would know that cockring is one word (and I'm assuming you know what you're talking about) is a person worth absorbing career advice from.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well thank you.

and yes, i'm sorry i didn't let the little guy cut loose with why he's so repressed. i'm sure his clips are beyond repair.

Draft saved Draft deleted