1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I mistaken about this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Derek_W, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus mert, why don't you just give the little know-it-all a french kiss? little shit already has identified many other problems in the department that need corrected, as he said.

and yeah, great advice, why don't you tell the part timer to dig himself even a larger hole?

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

You're right, he should just let his clips get fucked by a moron. Wait, if I write this sentence:

"The guy who posts as Tom Petty on SportsJournalists.com is a dillweed," said MertWindu, who finds message board bullies to be trite and sad.

Would you switch it to "MertWindu said, who finds message board bullies to be trite and sad"?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, the staging of the word "said" means so much in the process of bringing someone new onto to staff when a hiring editor reads clips.

ever hire a newbie there rookie? no? i thought not.

here's looking at a clue, please find one.

4. Babs

Babs Member

Is there an "ignore this poster" feature on this website? If so, can someone please point out where it is?

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Hey candle eater, when exactly did the kid ask about this hurting his hiring chances? He'd like for hiswork not to be ruined because an editor is screwing with them, but wanted to make sure the grammar gripe he had was legit. You're a fool, and shouldn't have gotten involved in this thread to begin with. Go back to your cave.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Schroeder is popular with B&D people? ???

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Tom Petty sounds like a little bitch.

If I were you part-timer, I would just avoid using clauses if it's going to be erroneously changed by a guy with more power than you.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Am I the only one confused by that?

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yep, I'm confused, and I wrote it. A case of a bad cut and paste . . . in a hurry!

Edited! My apologies!

Should have read like this:

In my books:

First (and best) choice: "I played great," said Smith, who had 14 points.

Second choice: "I played great," Smith, who had 14 points, said.

Never a choice: "I played great," Smith said, who had 14 points.

I once had an editor say attribute quotes the way you would if you spoke the words.

In spoken word it's "Smith said he played great."
    Or, "Smith told me he played great."
    So, using that theory, it should be "I played great," Smith said. PERIOD. End of quote attribution. No said Smith, who blah blah blah.

However, personally, I sometimes like using this "I played great," said Smith, who had 14 points.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

address the point moron. since reading comprehension is difficult for you, as i already said, the positioning of the word said is NOT going to hurt this little victim's chances of being hired for another job. but you don't know that because you're nothing more than some bitter fucking hack who wants to bitch and moan about editors in general.

said jones, jones said, throw the fucking clause before or after ... it makes no difference in the kid's clips there einstein. if you read it in a clip, you take it for granted it's a "differenct" style thing some editor has instituted.

stop bitching just to bitch, get over it and find some other trivial matter to piss and moan about.

11. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

If I were you part-timer, I would just avoid using clauses if it's going to be erroneously changed by a guy with more power than you.

That's what I've been doing. I was proofreading the sports page one night and he had made a change to "[name] said, who" when I brought it to his attention. That's when I found out he thinks there isn't anything wrong with doing it that way. I haven't mentioned it since, although I notice he keeps doing it with other writers' stories.

If you're wondering why other writers haven't mentioned it to the SE -- there's only one other full time sportswriter, and he knows the SE makes these changes -- even to his own stories -- but apparently he doesn't care enough to say anything to the SE. I'm not sure if the other part-timers even notice. (Yes, I work at a very small paper.)

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh yeah, shaggy, go fuck yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted