1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I mistaken about this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Derek_W, Dec 1, 2006.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

I'll second that.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ditto. Sounds like he "learned" something one time without understanding it.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

which one is violet?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

An early Peanuts character who hasn't been seen in years. Shermy and Patty (different character than Peppermint Patty) are original characters who have also vanished.

And writing irish is right. Violet was a total fucking bitch with zero redeeming qualities. So was Patty, seen here:

[​IMG]

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My guess is that your editor is predisposed to hating the "said Brown" construction. If that's the case, another workaround is breaking it up into two sentences.

"I spent the whole night drilling Lucy in the ass. Some things are more important than baseball," Charlie Brown said. He missed his first scheduled start in five seasons on Thursday.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

congrats derek, you part-time workin', college know-it-all. you found a trivial hole in your editor's game ... no, i take that back, rather a horrific error your dick tracy-like detective skills have been able to exploit in the eyes of real journalists.

i'd print a copy of this page and rub it in your editor's face just before you graduate and beg him for a decent reference.

fuck man, if this is the biggest thing bothering you in your workplace, STFU.

7. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

Thanks for the replies everyone!

To Mr. Petty: I didn't know caring about this kind of thing and asking questions makes me a "college know it all." I wish this were the biggest problem in our workplace. It's not; but I'm sure you'll agree it's the type of small thing that tends to degrade the quality of the product we're putting out.

No, I don't intend to print off this page and rub it in my editor's face. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. For the time being, however, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't make such rude remarks and assumptions about me when you don't know anything about either me or my situation.

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

jesus christ, the guy's asking a legit question and trying to turn out a better product. how the fuck does that make him a know-it-all?

9. Because Tom Petty's having Whitlock flashbacks again.
    The Charlie Brown stuff is really disturbing, by the way, especially without Schroeder's renown in the B&D community.

10. Hey, I appreciate the kid's attention to detail and pride in doing things right. To me, that's what will always separate newspapers from radio, TV and Internet.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well i'll take note of that you little victim.

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Petty, shut the fuck up, you look like a gigantic tool on this thread (not that that's all that different from most other threads in which you're involved).

Derek, you're spot-on, bring examples of stories that use your format to your editor, and don't let up. Shit like that makes you look stupid when your editor switches the words around.

Draft saved Draft deleted