1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I making a mistake?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Tonight, my wife and I are planning to take our 2 year old to his first movie, "Cars." We're going along with my in-laws.

Am I making a mistake, or will the witty romantic bantering between Owen Wilson and the beautiful Bonnie Hunt keep my son enchanted through the night?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I took my 3-year-old to see Curious George. It was enough to keep his attention riveted for about half the time. The popcorn, candy and soda, and sitting in daddy's lap occpied about a quarter of the time. The other quarter? Kicking the seats in front us.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Bring lots of popcorn. That will entertain him longer than the movie, methinks. And let the in-laws hold him on their laps.

I can't get my 4-year-old to sit still for an entire movie, I'm positive my 2-year-old would do nothing but ruin the experience for me and those around us.

That said, my 5-year-old was perfect during movies at 2. So, if you've got a mild mannered, not hyper kid you just might make it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Kid's gonna listen? He's gonna watch and react to the animation, get fussy and laugh when eveyone else does -- looking around for affirmation....

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Try this, too.

[​IMG]

For you, not your kid.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Bring some for the in-laws and the people around you.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yeah, this is for the kid.... no smell...
    [​IMG]

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

PLEASE DO NOT EVER GIVE POPCORN TO SMALL CHILDREN!!

A dear friend lost her four year old daughter to a piece of popcorn--wedged in the windpipe.  It's basically the same as inhaling a giant piece of foam, except the sharp edges get lodged in the soft tissue and even a heimlich maneuver can't dislodge it.

No opinion on the movie, but probably don't plan to make it to the end.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

whoa. that's scary. that's something i've never thought of.

i don't have kids but when i do, i'm going to do everything in my power not to stuff their little faces with sugar, salt and high fructose corn syrup every time we go to the movies. i know it's easier said than done.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Terrible to hear that. How old was your friend's child?

If they can chew, you'd think popcorn (or french fries, cooked carrots, chicken, bread, etc.) would be mostly safe.

11. Don't take your kid to the movies because soon he'll be hooked on the stuff.

It's rated G because its a gateway movie. Pretty soon he'll be trying the PG-13 and once he does R its only a matter of time until until he's hooked on hardcore XXX.

That said - I might be bringing the kids to see Cars at the drive-in tonight.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

She was four....died on her birthday. The family was all together watching a movie at home, Mom made a big bowl of popcorn....the little girl was laughing at the movie and sucked the popcorn down the wrong way.  By the time paramedics arrived, she was blue and unconscious, and died minutes later.  They told my friend there was nothing the parents could have done--once it's lodged in there, it's stuck--won't vomit up or slide down.

Sorry for the downer, but seriously, no popcorn for the little ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted