1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I going to die?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by golfnut8924, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I would tend to believe - without any evidence other than a guess - that the tourist, coastal areas are no more a danger than they would be at any other time.

That said, I'd go to an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, etc.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You'd probably be fine. The violence has been semi-rare in places like Cancun. It's still there, though, and it's been increasing. 8 tourists were killed when a bar was firebombed there a few months ago.

I know plenty of people who have gone to Mexico recently and been fine. I wouldn't do it.

3. taller hack

taller hack Member

I went down there for my honeymoon last July, cabbing it 45 minutes south to Playa del Carmen. As long as you stay at the resort, you'll be fine. Just walk right past all the time share people at the airport.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My sister, BIL and two kids have a time share in Cancun. They were down there in December with no problems. Just be vigilant like you would be anywhere.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Okay good -- you are all making me feel better. Thanks!

We're staying at an all-inclusive resort which is another reason I think we'll be fine. Maybe they'll comp us for a free night if I suffer a flesh wound of some sort.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Just make sure to take whatever narcotics you need with you. That way, you won't have to venture out.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The Cancun resort strip is practically American. You'll see American chain restaurants, bars for Americans (Senor Frog anyone?) ... hardly anyone speaks Spanish in that area, or so it seems. Take a cab straight from the airport, and you should be fine.

The town itself is a few minutes from the resort strip. Might not be the best idea to go now. Too bad.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I died on July 1, 1989.

I was going to enjoy Deutschland and become a veteran. Instead, this tanning booth accident went horribly wrong.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Go. You'll be fine.

The wife and I are actually going this summer (make-up trip from when we bailed during the pig virus debacle). A friend just got back from taking her family down for a week. Loved it. Never once felt unsafe.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Watch the movie Turistas. You should do what they did. :D

Seriously, if you're going to a Club Med or a Sandals, just stay on the resort and you'll be fine.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate is zero.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Zihuatenejo. Help Tim Robbins refurbish a boat. Find out if the Pacific is as blue as it is in your dreams.

Draft saved Draft deleted