1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I going to die?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by golfnut8924, Feb 3, 2011.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

So I'm getting married in June and we have a honeymoon planned in Cancun. Every time I hear about more drug cartel violence south of the border I cringe. And now the LPGA has even yanked their Mexico tournament stop from the schedule for this reason.

I would hope/think that Cancun would still be safe. Most of the violence is happening hundreds of miles away although it did spill over into a tourist area a few weeks ago.

We have insurance on our trip and we can back out for any reason with a full refund (we would lose only a $300 deposit). And we have not bought plane tickets yet.

So........should we be worried? Should we still go? Would YOU go? And am I going to end up in a dumpster?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

We're all going to die.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As long as you have health insurance you should be fine. No one with health insurance ever dies.

But, honestly, I think Cancun should be fine. It's the border towns you need to avoid.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK. Everyone but him.

6. Journalist21

Journalist21 Member

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If you do decide to go, golfnut, call your health provider and make sure there won't be too many complications with your coverage, other than likely being out-of-network. Sometimes, countries and providers have differing opinions on how to handle claims and situations.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A friend of mine went to Club Med in Cancun a couple of months ago. She raved about the place and never made any mention of that kind of trouble.
    However, she said her daughter got drunk at one of the clubs and had her purse pilfered. And, they had stuff ripped off from their luggage on the way back. She thought airport personnel did it.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I was in a small resort town near Puerto Vallarta a few months ago, the military drives around all night in camouflaged caravan humvees shining floodlights at the beaches and strip malls.

Just stay near the turistas, don't get adventurous, you'll be fine.

Unless you're DEA, then leave the jacket at home and pretend to be a plumber.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Can you afford to lose the $300 you wouldn't get back? You'll probably be OK, but a honeymoon isn't the time to never leave the hotel grounds. I'd probably at least check on other options.

Good luck.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd be much more worried if this trip were to Ciudad Juarez or Tijuana. It's a lot more difficult to cross the mouth of the Gulf of Mexico than it is the Rio Grande. I'm sure there will be drugistas there, but they'll be much more interested in making you a customer than making you a mule or a martyr.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

21's advice is spot-on. The girlfriend was in Isla Mujeres in late October and didn't have a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted