1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I going crazy? Or, Rusty has developed the olfactory sense of a dog

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

So recently I've been smelling women's perfume in the most random places, for no obvious reason. I think I may be going crazy, or my olfactory nerves are dying, or I'm turning into a dog, or something.

For example, on two recent mornings driving to work, I've turned on the heat in my car and smelled perfume. It smelled fantastic, like something Calvin Klein should bottle and market. I figure it's just something in the engine that happens to smell sweet when the heat turns on. Plausible. No big deal. Then this evening I'm at the gym. I'm shooting basketball, been in there probably 15 minutes. Suddenly as I'm standing at the free throw line, I smell this sweet aroma out of nowhere. Nobody in there but me. Nobody had been in there since I'd been there. The smell follows me around the gym for like 5 minutes and then - poof - it's gone. I can't even come up with a plausible explanation for that. Then just now, I open an email from a woman I know. Nothing sexual or anything weird about it - not like my mind is playing tricks on me here. She's just some woman I know from church asking me a question. As soon as I open it, I smell perfume. Not the same kind as from the car this morning or the gym, but still a good, sweet, perfumey smell. I read the email, close it, and the smell goes away. My laptop is a POS and definitely does not have smell-o-vision technology.

What the hell is going on? And is there anyway to transition this to food, so that I can eat broccoli and brussels sprouts and have them taste like pizza?

2. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Unexplained smells can be warning signs of a stroke.

But most people smell either onions or oranges in those instances.

Draft saved Draft deleted