1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I facing unfair treatment?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WestCoastWriter, Aug 11, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, I must admit that I only read the first page of the thread.

But here's what I'd do:

1. Get noticed. Bring in some great food that you made for the entire staff and make sure your SE gets some and knows it's from you;

2. Volunteer yourself for stuff. By this, I mean a quick mention that you know vacation time will be coming up in a few months and that you'd be willing to shift gears and help out when the time comes. You could even mention a specific person. Maybe it's somebody going on maternity leave or doing some training.

3. Spend a few days on the golf course and then approach your SE about it. Perhaps you could say that you're just beginning to play and that you would like to hit the course with him to grab a few pointers. It might sound like sucking up, and that's because it is sucking up. But it doesn't matter. Just know that it will work.

I'll leave you with those suggestions. Good luck.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I knew it. Bubbler was the second gunman on the grassy knoll. Keep denying, but it's not going to change the truth.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

when other beats come open, how aggressively are you going after them? If he doesn't know you want them very badly, it's not likely he'll try to move you up.
    And good god, go talk to the SE. It's doubtful he can read your mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted