1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I Evil?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/01/nyregion/01stab.html

2. joe

joe Active Member

B&W "Twilight Zone" where a woman tells her husband (?) that a man hurt her, implying rape. Near the end of the show, the couple is driving down a street and she shouts "There he is!" Man stops the car, takes the guy on the street into an alley and strangles him. He gets back in the car, they drive 100 feet and she shouts "There he is!" again.
    Food for thought. Innocent until.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate that we have a criminal justice system that is either unwilling or unable to deal with the worst of the worst in such a way that they would no longer pose a danger to society, but we can't allow people to take the law into their own hands. Too many people would get killed for things that people shouldn't get killed over. Too many people who didn't do what somebody thought they did would get killed. I don't think that's a better situation than what we have now.
    I'd hate to think he was actually innocent of what the guy who stabbed him thought he did.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

If that dude is innocent, wow. I was assuming that he was guilty, of course. I see the logic in calling the cops if there is doubt. The odd twist is that I'm opposed to the death penalty. Nothing can sway me on that point. My stance is that it doesn't accomplish anything. After all, it doesn't really take away the harm that was done. But that's an entirely different thread.

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Update: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/33083/

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

your instinct is correct but yeah, you have a serious problem if you think it's OK to take justice into your own hands before all the facts are known. let's say instead of a 2 year old it was a 16 year old who had never told a lie to her parents. you come home to your daughter and clearly she's fucked up because something awful happens to her. you know your daughter well. she's not lying. something has definitely happened. you talk to her and she accuses the neighbor of abuse. i can't imagine how awful that would make the parent feel, but if you want to live in a society that allows you, the parent, to kill the accused, then you have a problem. if you can't see the potential for abuse here then you need to think harder. i mean how many kids would be quick to make up lies without thinking through the consequences? how many adults say things just to get a rise out of people?

for all its flaws (and there are many), the justice system's underlying principle about innocent until proven guilty is a rational premise to start from.

7. You're not evil.
    You're human.
    Give in to the impulse, though, and the answer to the question is different, whether or not the jury send you away.

Draft saved Draft deleted