1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I Evil?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 31, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I see on CNN.com that some patent attorney killed his neighbor with a kitchen knife after being told that the guy molested his daughter.

I'm not sure he had all the facts. If he did, though, I applaud pops. I'd have done the same damned thing. Sure, it's rash and not all that sane. But damn. That's your little innocent daughter, man. It's a little girl. Hell, I might do it even if it weren't my daughter.

I know. The right way is to call the police. But how the fuck are the police going to take away what happened to your daughter? Why should you let a jury decide how devastating it is to your family?

I say it's the classic A Time To Kill scenario.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Paging Starman ... Starman, please pick up the yellow courtesy phone.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Justice takes on a different meaning when the victim is a loved one, especially a child.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

If you're in the jury at this guy's trial, how do you vote?

My apologies to the justice system, but if this guy gave me any defense whatsoever, he'd be walking. No way could I send this guy to jail. I just couldn't do it.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Boy, way to make Google spit out a PSA HeinekenMan. Food off Webby's table. :p

6. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The daughter was only 2 years old. If I'm on that jury there's no way I would vote to convict.

7. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

I live about a mile and a half from the site of that killing and it's such a quiet and family neighborhood. I don't know what to think about any of it.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

From what I read today, the defense seems to be, "He lost it."

Sounds like the guy didn't have nearly enough to go on to execute such a final solution. I have a 3-year-old daughter and if anybody did that to her (damn, that's a horrible thought)..I just can't imagine it, but I know I might react the same way. But I'd hope that I'd be pretty damn sure before I did something about it.

Kids that age say all kinds of shit.

In the killer's defense, the guy he stabbed was known for erratic behavior, including shouting at the neighborhood kids and going outside nude, so there was more to it than just what the little kid said.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What will be key is proving (if possible) that the victim actually molested the toddler.

I think I understand what must have going through the daddy's mind, but if the victim (and for now that's what he is) was innocent, then a life was lost for nothing.

11. "If he did."
    On this does a life sentence depend, I think.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you don't see it happen or have some solid evidence, I think you call the cops first. Plenty of time to stab him later.

Draft saved Draft deleted