1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I evil for not buying into this

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Nov 15, 2007.

1. A staff writer at my paper recently lost his license for a DUI. Since then, everyone in the office except for yours truly has gone out of their way, dropped assignments and missed meetings to pick his ass up in the morning and then take him home in the evening.
    Am I wrong for not buying into this shit?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Evil? No.

Unsympathetic? Perhaps.

Then again, he's lucky to still have a job ...

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If he was a close friend, then maybe you could be construed as evil, but I don't see it.

If this guy gets fired, at least he could be cast on the next season of "Lost."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are there not buses or cabs in your fair city?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He should be accommodating of co-workers, not asking them to change their schedules to help him out.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

No. I'd be the same way. Everyone makes mistakes, but people have to be responsible as well and know there are consequences for their actions.
    You aren't getting paid mileage to go pick him up, why bother.

Of course, I'm biased having lost many friends to drunk drivers, beginning when I was in the seventh grade (that's when I made the decision I would never be a drinker). I'm not opposed to drinking, I just think DUIs and DWIs need stiffer penalties.

If his car breaks down, or something like that, then that's different. But now it's just enabling.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, if he were a friend or a neighbor that would be one thing. I don't think you owe him any lifts as a co-worker. In fact, it is his responsibility to get his ass to work and back.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No.

I'll give rides to or from the office, but not at the expense of getting my work done. Your staffer fucked up, not you.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I won't say I'd turn the guy down if I was going to be on the road anyway. But I hope he's taking every cent that he would otherwise be paying for gas and maintenance, and then some, and spreading it around to his new chauffeurs. How long will he be without a license, 6 months? More?

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

No, you're not evil. I understand to err is human, but shit, this guy really screwed up, putting lives at risk with that idiotic decision. Hopefully, this experience will do him some good. If others want to go out of their way to help him out, that's their call. But if it starts to hurt the organization, something needs to be done.

Another thing: Some papers require reporters to have a valid driver's license as a condition of employment. Is that the deal at your place?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He can't get driving privileges to work?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They can't require you to have a valid driver's license (that may prevent someone who is blind or has epilepsy or something from working there). But they can require that as a condition of your job that you find the transportation to get there or wherever you need to be -- whether it's a ride from your wife, a cab, a rental car, public transportation, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted