1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I being thrown under the bus? (Minor incident)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 3, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

So I have been working a lot lately, because the two-man sports desk is down to me. I just got off my fifth day in 30 days work, so editor is laying out my section. It's a small paper.

We get this e-mail from a volleyball coach about her team's scores at 9 p.m., 15 minutes past Saturday deadline. Because of a hectic Saturday schedule, I've asked scores to come in at 7 p.m. so two hours past that.

Sunday morning, editor responds to say thanks, but doesn't respond with his name, just our e-mail.

One hour later, she sends this big angry e-mail about her scores not being in the Sunday paper and she received the response from the e-mail, but there was still no story. She includes how she would like to talk to said editor, who will resolve this problem, no doubt.

He responds to her, says it was me who did not send him the scores, so it didn't make the Sunday edition. Meanwhile, he checked the e-mail.

She responds, vindicated, and everyone is happy a great injustice — done by me — was righted.

Did I just get thrown under the bus? Or am I too fucking sensitive.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'd be annoyed if I were you.

And is she aware of the 7 p.m. deadline?

3. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Yes, because we I ran this big info box saying coaches should call in their scores. She never used to call, so she obviously got pressure by the box to call them in.

Either way, he checked the e-mail, and he did our section the previous day, so...

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I'd say you were thrown under the bus. I'd be annoyed, but would keep it to myself. I don't think calling out your editor on this will do any good, especially since your staff is already a man down and you are both probably overworked. You should have told her the info box listed the deadline and she was late. The results will be in Monday's paper. If she wants to make the next day's paper, she needs to make deadline. Simple as that. Put the blame on them, it's not your fault they can't handle directions.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's fucking volleyball. Maybe two dozen people give a shit. If it gets the coach to stop throwing a conniption and lets you guys concentrate on things that matter beyond hg volleyball agate, just shut up and let it happen.

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Definitely thrown. But if that were me, I'd make it perfectly clear next time she calls that it's you on the phone and that she needs to get the scores in earlier.

I had a guy a couple weeks ago call with a score for Saturday's game on a Monday. I told him he not only had to adhere to deadlines, that he had to make sure it was the correct day. He got upset, I told him it was our policy, and that if he wanted the score in the paper, he should call afterward. After he said he headed out on vacation, I said "Well, it wouldn't hurt to make a two-minute phone call before you get in the car."

He was a little agitated, but understood. Make it clear to the coach that the deadlines are there for the reason. As for the editor, be a little agitated, but there's nothing that can really be done unless it happens again. He probably figured it would just blow over.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, you were played for the fool. But don't sweat it. It's pretty minor, and if that's the worst thing that happens to you -- this week -- you'll be all right.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And do not blame the guilty party and explain what happened in the office. Just drop it. There's no point in making anything worse than it already is. As I said, this is very minor. Tell yourself the editor is a tool and move on -- it's for the best. Trust me.

9. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Thanks for putting it in perspective Mike.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

While I agree not to make a big deal out of it, you can't let the editor walk all over you, either.

Two things -- patience and pride -- that need to be very delicately balanced.

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I sent him an e-mail about the matter and said something to the effect of...

Dear Editor,
    Coach was out of line. I understand you may have been trying to appease her but she doesn't have a fucking leg to stand on.

Thanks,
    Underling

12. Minor problem, but check the rear left tire while you're down there.

Draft saved Draft deleted