1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

am i an a-hole for not buying candy for trick-or-treaters?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, Oct 29, 2006.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Seconded.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Just be careful not to put out any small fires on your porch by stamping them out, especially with waffle-soled shoes.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

OK, I've been guilt-tripped by SportsJournalists.com into buying candy for the little rugrats. Thank you, this will go a long way toward my salvation.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Please ship leftover, wrapped candy (no peanuts, please) to:

DyePack
    USA

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We never get it right. We bought about four bags of stuff one year and had about six kids. Bought one bag the next and had about 600. I was scrambling all over the kitchen for stuff. Kethcup packs, sugar cubes, salt packets, toothpicks, Cup A Soup, Ramen, you name it.

When the kids were of trick-or-treat age, she'd take them out and I'd man the door. Big dogs barking didn't deter many candy seeking kids.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I bought candy last year and no one showed. The weather was awful. This year the weather is again expected to be awful and I'd be surprised if anyone shows.
    But even if the weather was good, kids still may not come by. A murder, then suicide happened in the house a couple of years ago and I think the neighbors with kids stay clear.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Nothing wrong with not giving candy, really. Just keep the porch light off and kids walk right by to the next house.

I'd say about 25 percent of the houses on my block don't give out candy.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For not buying candy, no. You are not an asshole.

Ther are so many more reasons than that, but not candy. So sleep well knowing that. :D

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you don't have any kids, there's no reason you have to hand out candy. None.

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I live above a law office downtown, so there are no trick-or-treaters coming by.

The candy I buy is for me.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Halloween is my favorite holiday, and it's not close. Every year, I come up with a new, more elaborate way to scare the crap out of the kids who come up to the door. I usually film them falling, paralyzed by fear, into the front garden or tearing back down the stairs crying into the arms of their parents, and then I watch the film and eat the leftover candy and laugh and laugh.

It is my holy day.

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

That was YOU?

Bastard. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted