1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a nerd or am I cool based on the following project ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, May 24, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

A weird personal game attendance stat: I've only been to one NBA game (Chicago-Washington in the early '90s) and one NHL game (Chicago-Boston about the same time), but I've been to one MISL game (Chicago Sting vs. Montreal Manic), one USFL game (Chicago Blitz vs. Birmingham Stallions) and one XFL game (Orlando Rage vs. somebody I can't remember).

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bubs, you and I may be the only people on the planet documenting such detailed lists of our MLB attendance. But I thought I'd share a little of mine, since I just finished it tonight.

As a Braves fan, I'm most interested to see how five specific players did in the games I've attended, especially since more than 50 of the 82 games I've been able to document involved the Tomahawks. Luckily, I've kept a perfect record of the games I've attended since 1995 -- through ticket stubs, programs and/or notes -- and am only missing a few from 1987-93 that, alas, are lost to history.

Sad to say that my all-time favorite pitcher has completely shit a brick in the games I've seen him start:

Glavine, Tom: 6-11, 5.82 ERA, 17 GS (94.1 IP, 119 H, 67 R, 61 ER, 42 BB, 54 K, 14 HR)
    * did get to see him pick up wins No. 234, 252 and 284 (the latter two with the fucken Mets, but oh well.)

Maddux, Greg: 4-3, 3.07 ERA, 10 GS (73.1 IP, 67 H, 30 R, 25 ER, 9 BB, 49 K, 8 HR)

Smoltz, John: 1-3, 2.83 ERA, 7 SV, 13 G, 4 GS (41.1 IP, 38 H, 14 R, 13 ER, 10 BB, 45 K, 4 HR)
    * highlight was 4/10/05, when his 15 Ks were upstaged by Pedro's 2-hitter

And, of course, I also had to find out how the Jones Boys did at the plate when I was in the stands.

Jones, Chipper: .329 avg., 158 AB, 26 R, 52 H, 25 RBI, 31 BB, 38 K, 7 2B, 0 3B, 11 HR, 2 SB
    * 45 games (includes playoffs)

Chipper's overall numbers are pretty amazing -- extrapolated over a whole season, that's about 38 HRs and 95 RBI -- but even more spectacular is the stretch from 1995-99, when he hit .439, 7 HR, 17 RBI in the 17 games I was at.

Jones, Andruw: .293 avg., 157 AB, 28 R, 46 H, 28 RBI, 22 BB, 29 K, 8 2B, 2 3B, 10 HR, 6 SB
    * 44 games (includes playoffs)

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I always think about this on Father's Day... My dad is a great guy, but we don't have a ton in common. Baseball was the thing he always managed to do right. He'd make a big deal out of it and make it special for me. I'm probably not quite as nerdy as bubbler and buck *grin*, but I went to my first baseball game with my dad when I was 8 in 1976, and I still have the scorecard from that game. I now have scorecards from hundreds of games I have been to. My dad taught me how to keep score and we kept score at all the games we went to over the years. As a result, I have this great collection of scorecards (and yearbooks) from my childhood--now I just bring my own home made scorecards. I still keep score at 90 percent of the games I go to. A few people from SportsJournalists.com who have seen me at baseball games actually haven't seen this side of me, because I didn't keep score... But even if I don't keep score, I clip the box score and game story afterward and save it. I have a huge box filled with "personal" baseball-related stuff and it includes scorecards and box scores from every game I have been to since the age of 8--whether it was for work or fun. It would be interesting--and a lot of work--to go through it and compile a roster of players I have seen play.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, Bubbler, if it become overwhelming, commission buck-dub. He knows all that is baseball :D

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cool, but in a nerdy way.

I can tell you the first game I was at in each sport, but dont remember the year.
    Baseball: 1969 Senators at Tigers (Frank Howard hit a foul ball off my dad's hands, he didnt finish with it and I didn't forgive him for months)
    1970 -- Bears at Lions in "coaches corner" of Tiger Stadium
    1970-ish -- Bulls at Pistons at Cobo Arena
    1969 -- Montreal at Wings at Olympia (Section 10, row 4, seats 1-2-3-4. Just inside the visiting team's blueline..."

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Bubbler:

How many games are we talking about for you? For me, it's in the hundreds, and I have little recollection about most of them. First one, yeah, I could nail that one down pretty easily. First postseason game, ditto. First WS game, too. But the others, there's just no way for me to remember them all.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm probably between 100 and 125, counting games I've covered.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Outing alert: The Big Ragu is Billy Crystal!

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I was doing something like this a little while ago Bubbler. I should check my stats.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just shoot me in the head. It's quicker and less painful.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not until your month as moderator is done. By then, you might do it yourself and none of us would get charged...

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Here's my first game:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN197508190.shtml

Cards edge the Big Red Machine. I remember the game as being kind of dull, and now I know why.

Draft saved Draft deleted