1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a nerd or am I cool based on the following project ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, May 24, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I have figured out every baseball game I've ever attended. I'm a little sketchy from 1978-84, there's probably one or two on my list that I didn't attend, along with several more not on my list that I did, but my first game (Hank Aaron's last in 1976) and post-1985 (I kept stubs and press passes for most games from that period onward) I know I'm solid.

The project? Try to find out exactly how many players I've seen play and do career stats. I think it would be fascinating to know what Paul Molitor hit when I was in the house. Or find out oddball milestones I witnessed (Apparently, I saw David Wright's first home run in Montreal a few years ago and didn't know it until now, I also saw Kevin Nicholson's lone career home run for the Padres. Who? Exactly ...), or even figure out what my personal one-game records are (in that same Expos-Mets '04 game, the Expos scored 19, that has to be my single-game run record for one team).

Is this is a cool project (I wish I could figure out a book concept to do on it) or have I reached some rarefied plane of nerdiness?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Am I nerd or am I cool based on the following project ...

Definitely nerdy, but in a cool, Lisa Loeb kinda way.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Both.

4. Definitely the latter. And definitely something I would have a blast doing.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm sure nerds will think it's cool... ;)

I think the challenge will be what kind of sample size you end up with.

Too small, everything's irrelevant.

Too, big, everything regresses to the mean.

6. Bubbler

But I don't wear glasses. Dammit!

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Star Trek fans will make jokes about you being a virgin.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Get some fake ones :D

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Definitely cool, especially if you can nail down the dates. Baseball-reference takes care of the rest so you don't need to go through reams of microfiche.

10. Bubbler

For AL hitters pre-1997 and NL hitters post-1998, I think the sample size will be decent, especially for ex-Brewers.

For pitchers, it will be much less so. Though I think everytime I ever saw the Reds, which was a lot between 1997-2002 when my brother lived in Cincinnati, Scott Sullivan pitched in relief.

I'm also thinking the over-under on Barry Larkin's career Bubbler average is .500. He was unreal every time I saw him and the scans of the box scores I checked confirmed it, including a 5-for-5 in '00.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't think "cool" and "nerd" are mutually exclusive...

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Muahahahah!!!

(great idea BTW)

Draft saved Draft deleted