1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a nerd or am I cool based on the following project ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, May 24, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

I have figured out every baseball game I've ever attended. I'm a little sketchy from 1978-84, there's probably one or two on my list that I didn't attend, along with several more not on my list that I did, but my first game (Hank Aaron's last in 1976) and post-1985 (I kept stubs and press passes for most games from that period onward) I know I'm solid.

The project? Try to find out exactly how many players I've seen play and do career stats. I think it would be fascinating to know what Paul Molitor hit when I was in the house. Or find out oddball milestones I witnessed (Apparently, I saw David Wright's first home run in Montreal a few years ago and didn't know it until now, I also saw Kevin Nicholson's lone career home run for the Padres. Who? Exactly ...), or even figure out what my personal one-game records are (in that same Expos-Mets '04 game, the Expos scored 19, that has to be my single-game run record for one team).

Is this is a cool project (I wish I could figure out a book concept to do on it) or have I reached some rarefied plane of nerdiness?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Am I nerd or am I cool based on the following project ...

Definitely nerdy, but in a cool, Lisa Loeb kinda way.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Both.

4. Definitely the latter. And definitely something I would have a blast doing.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm sure nerds will think it's cool... ;)

I think the challenge will be what kind of sample size you end up with.

Too small, everything's irrelevant.

Too, big, everything regresses to the mean.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

But I don't wear glasses. Dammit!

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Star Trek fans will make jokes about you being a virgin.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Get some fake ones :D

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Definitely cool, especially if you can nail down the dates. Baseball-reference takes care of the rest so you don't need to go through reams of microfiche.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

For AL hitters pre-1997 and NL hitters post-1998, I think the sample size will be decent, especially for ex-Brewers.

For pitchers, it will be much less so. Though I think everytime I ever saw the Reds, which was a lot between 1997-2002 when my brother lived in Cincinnati, Scott Sullivan pitched in relief.

I'm also thinking the over-under on Barry Larkin's career Bubbler average is .500. He was unreal every time I saw him and the scans of the box scores I checked confirmed it, including a 5-for-5 in '00.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't think "cool" and "nerd" are mutually exclusive...

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Muahahahah!!!

(great idea BTW)

Draft saved Draft deleted