1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a dirty cheating bastard?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Oct 4, 2007.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Milk is still good a couple of days after the "expiration" date. And if you wait long enough, it makes cottage cheese, so you get two food items for the price of one.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wife and I disagree on this: I say the expiration date actually is a "buy by" date, and that even if it isn't, the stuff is good up to that date at least. She says that, once opened, the stuff (whatever it is) gets stale or sour or old or inedible faster, I guess because the air hits it and bacteria begins. So she throws out stuff 2-3 days before I would give up on it.

What d'ya think? A Mars-Venus thing?

3. I'm with you. That's why we have a nose - to sniff whether it's good or not.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto. If it smells like it won't kill you ... drink up.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Depends on the item, but I'm usually a sniffer.

And can we call it soy juice, rather than milk? :D

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It only lasts that long if you don't open it. If you open it, it's supposed to only have a shelf life of a few days.

7. I've worked for two different grocery chains in my lifetime. The color of the tie tab on the store brand bread indicated which day of the week that loaf should be pulled.
    Blue=Monday
    Red=Tuesday
    Yellow=Wednessday
    etc.
    I'm not certain if this method is still in use as I rarely buy bread. But if it is there's probably a chart behind the bread that'll give you the info on which color corresponds to which day of the week.

Another thing...never - I mean never - buy any item from the meat counter that has been prepped into kabobs or given some sort of seasoning. You're just asking for a night of ass vomits.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Okay, if this is deemed as cheating, I better cut my losses and get the hell out of Canada before I get caught by "grocery security"

Draft saved Draft deleted