1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Always room for another VP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by partain, Feb 16, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I might be mistake, badly mistaken, but even with all that's wrong with Gannett, I don't think they're going to go out and hire some incompetent to fill a position like this.

2. partain

partain Member

How many great marketing guys can you name in the Gannett chain (or any newspaper chain for that matter)? What have they done to position their papers for the future? And even if they hire someone great, what makes you believe he/she will be allowed to do great things?

Given the state of most newspaper companies these days, I think these are legitimate questions.

3. To borrow a phrase from the political campaigns, isn't this just putting lipstick on a pig?

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Follow me...and never fear!

Gannett board members go for a walk....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Since when has Gannett been a legitimate news organization?

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

They could hire P.T. Freaking Barnum and he'd have a hard time pushing buggy whips on consumers these days.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I would ask the same question of a marketing person as I would the IT people: If they are any good, why are they working at a newspaper?

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"OK, Marketing Guru, you get our brand in front of eyeballs, and we'll give eyeballs something to look at. But don't tell us how to do our jobs, and we won't worry about how you do yours."

Sound about right?

Good points on this thread though I stand by my original question. This will betray my lack of knowledge of branding and marketing, but if one is to market sausage, shouldn't one have an idea of the making of same?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing says a new age VP like "Branding" and "aggressively promoting"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted