1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alum pledges 200K if Willingham and Turner are fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This sort of garbage happens everywhere.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Well, and I know the $200,000 isn't necessarily earmarked for athletics.

But if you've got that kind of jing to drop on your school, why not just donate it without tying it in to someone losing their job? What sort of person cares about his school only if it means there will be blood on the floor?

Granted, it's not as if Division I football coaches shouldn't have sizable nest eggs considering the salaries they're being paid. But working to get someone fired when you're essentially an outside party has got to be some of the worst kind of karma.

Don't like your ball coach? Go on a message board and whine. Call in to the drivetime sports zoo. Pen a letter to the editor.

But when you enter the fray and try to help force him out, you're also forcing out a spouse that has to plan a move yet AGAIN. You're also forcing out kids to whom the coach is simply "dad", and who will have to relocate and socially fit in to another school someplace else yet AGAIN.

I would possibly remove my own pancreas with a spork to see Mrs. Tyrone Willingham march into the office of this balding, lipidy busybody (all the over-the-top boosters I've ever seen are balding and lipidy) and ask him what gives him the right to inject himself into her family's pursuit of livlihood.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Tyees have no idea how truly irrelevant they are in the greater college sports picture. They mock Arkansas, but actually aspire to be like those guys whether they know it or not. $200k? That doesn't even get you into the door at the cocktail parties at most SEC schools. Tyees are a bunch of sad, pathetic old men whose greatest dream is to wash Don James' car.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the report quoting Hansen when he refers to himself in the third person.
    Ed Hansen, you are no Phil Knight or T. Boone Pickens. Jim Mora Jr. is standing by for the UW gig if the Huskies don't get eight wins and beat a ranked team.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) This is a non-story.
    2) Todd Turner already resigned. Boo-hoo ... Seattle can do a lot better.
    3) This guy is really an egotistical SOB.
    4) If you really think you can financially bribe an athletic department, at least approach something resembling what T. Boone Pickens is doing at Stillwater.
    5) If you approach what Pickens is doing at Stillwater, and think that an athletic department arms race is more important than putting money toward more educational purposes, go away. Life perspective FUBAR.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Nonetheless, I'm betting Bill Gates has the athletic department at Lakeside well in hand.

Not to mention the music department, the science department, the shop...

Oops. Lakeside doesn't offer shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted