1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

alternator...OUT!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tell the mechanic that he still owes you an hour of labor and see what you can work out.

2. jps

jps Active Member

First, IJAG, be nice. I've gotten you a song. That's something, I think.

Secondly ... you ought to have told them that, as they see fit to rip you off, you think it's probably something that all your car-lovin readers will want to know about. Even NASCAR folks will get that 45 minutes isn't equal to two hours, no matter how much book lernin those mechanics have. I think you've got good column fodder.

Third ... I think Fuckabuncha is also a good song title. Not my kind of song, no ... but I can see this as the new Black Eyed Peas single. Call em up!

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe a lube job?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Apparently this "that's what the book says" is how labor is determined. Not by actual labor. and apparently at most places, or so says a friend.

I wish my dad still owned his service station. Of course, it was in Michigan, so it wouldn't help me THAT much.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Those "book" time allotments for specific jobs can occasionally be a lifesend if there are complications . . . but far, far more often, they're simply a license to steal.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Protest in front of the shop! The man is rippin you off!

7. imjustagirl

Best part: I'm arguing with the guy and he says "Well if it had taken four hours, we still would have only charged two." and I said "What kind of book estimates two hours for something that takes 45 freaking minutes?"

He says "Well, that's the average. Obviously, he's trying to get it done faster." I said "So you can take my money?" and he kind of nodded.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's good to know you got a second opinion.

9. imjustagirl

I actually got two opinions, thank you. But as your battery's draining, there's only so much driving around town you can do.

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm surprised they didn't charge you for a new Johnson rod as well.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think I plunked down $330 for an alternator for an 89 Aerostar last summer. Then the starter died. Then it got wrecked. But that probably won't happen again.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe some personal electronic devices need some tinkering.

Draft saved Draft deleted