1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

alternator...OUT!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tar Heel hater.

2. jps

jps Active Member

I'm tellin ya ... James Taylor acoustic. Only way to go here. Unless we turn it over to William Joel. He can do whatever he wants with it.

Oh, and according to rhymer.com ... not much to work with:

One and two syllable Double Rhymes of alternator:

maitre, prater, traitor

(EDIT: Though Xan has come through much better than I or the Net could this morning ... started way too early today, I'm afraid.)

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jail baiter
    Blue-state hater ...

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm at some local place. apparently no one has a part so they have to get it brought in from the next town over...hence the wait. that's also why, I'm assuming the part is new.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Billy Joel knows a lot about wrecked cars.

6. Songbird

Tracy Chapman knows about fast cars.

Gary Numan knows about being in a car.

7. jps

jps Active Member

There ya go. Lyrics and piano, Billy Joel. Vocals, James. Backup singer, clearly, Amy Winehouse.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Speaking of dealers, I took my 15-year-old Achieva w/203,000 miles on it into one the other day only because a friend runs the service department and it is right next to the Y where I work out. A pin in the steerling column was busted, causing the steering wheel to flop up and down. You know how you can adjust it to a certain height? Where, there was no height. It was up and down, up and down. No side to side, and no danger of falling off, but still not how I wanted to drive my car.

Well, they wanted $89 for a diagnostic. For some reason I paid it. Then, after screwing around for three hours, the mechanic said it needed a new steering column. Cost = $599.

Ummmmmmmmmm, no.

My dad, who owns his own car-repair shop (but is 2½ hours away), fixed it for nothing. It did not involve replacing the entire steering column.

Stupid dealers. I knew it was a mistake to go in there from the beginning.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Three bad experiences with alternators (different cars).
    One foiled a pleasant day trip to New Hampshire (started cutting out turning off 93 into Lincoln). Luckily found a place in Lincoln that was fair to us - wasn't cheap, and ruined a nice afternoon on the Kacamangus, but it could've been worse.
    Another happened driving home from work one night while still on crutches with a blown ACL. It stopped right at an intersection, and I spent about two of the wee small hours sitting on a traffic island waiting for the tow.
    Then last year, it crapped out on a Friday afternoon leaving work (about 40 miles from my usual mechanic). Had to rent for the weekend, and when I got the car back, they didn't bolt the alternator in right, and my guy had to fix it again.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So NOBODY'S going to go the obvious route that ends in -bator? Or -culator? This turn into a fucking nunnery overnight?

11. Songbird

Masturbator in the incubator.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Things like this are why I am glad my dad works for the dealership where I bought my Cobalt. I know I won't get ripped off and I get everything at employee pricing.

Draft saved Draft deleted