1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alternatives to a Journalism Career

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FantasyAlliance.cm, Jan 31, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

That's all well and good except I think I'm actually useful to the world. Besides guidance counselors, the most useless employees in the world are DMV workers, anyone in human resources and newspaper advertising reps.
    I once thought of a funny scenario where a high school kids finally has it up to here with his guidance counselor, "How are you going to give me advice about my future when you're a guidance counselor ..."

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think English is a good major. There is always a need for people who are good with words. It might not be as obvious, but there are other uses for English majors beside teaching and newspaper writing.

As for the griping, there is some griping in just about every occupation. However, one thing to consider with newspapers is the fact that there are a lot of places where sports writers make significantly less that starting teachers - and people keep talking about how teachers are underpaid. Teaching and journalism are the two lowest-paying professions which require a college degree, and when journalism seems to have a growing gap, that is a concern and would be good reason to not go "all in" when thinking about a journalism career.

4. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

I always wanted to go into sports radio. I'm pretty sure the money isn't much better in radio than it is in print, though, unless you get your own syndicated show.

5. Hell, just dropout and get your real estate license in a couple of weeks. You'll be swimming in it.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Try government or bureaucratic work.
    Can retire after 20 years, then start writing for some weekly in the northernmost part of Idaho.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dubble naught spy, brain surgeon or fry cook....

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted