1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alright, alright, alright 101

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 29, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It was inexplicably part of the Speech department.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not when McConaughey says it.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, whatever, part of some other department. That happens sometimes and, yes, they're often more theorists than film buffs.

Now, there's value in critical theory. There really is, as a scholar, because you kind of want to stand outside of it a little, away from the mechanics of it, especially in areas of art and books. It can be helpful in movies, but movies are often a significant undertaking in which the art produced took a whole bunch of little mechanical things to even make work. Running a football team is closer to moviemaking than writing a book, in many ways.

But I think a Matt class would be really helpful, too, if it was about how you manage people, specifically actors, which he's always seemed to be pretty good at doing. People give good performances around him. And he's worked with many of the best directors. His people knowledge would be valuable.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Hey, @Alma, you obviously don't have to answer if you don't want, but do you work in film or TV? Or are you just a fan? I've always wondered.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I graduated with a degree in Radio/TV/Film from a suburban Los Angeles University. We had some behind the scenes Hollywood types teaching, but no one famous.

I did get to sit in a session with Teri Garr, who was an alum.

garrow likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Dazed and Confused" might be the only movie he's appeared in where MM isn't the coolest guy in the film. Randall "Pink " Floyd is.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He wasn’t the coolest guy in Tropic Thunder.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Never seen that. Does he even have a major role? He's like No. 10 on the billing.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's significant.

Draft saved Draft deleted