1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Already sick of yankees-red sox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 18, 2006.

1. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I'm happy HGH boy hit the go-ahead homer in the 10th. It seems fitting for this series.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Anyone else laugh at Papelbon's pursed-lips, 12-year-old-trying-to-look-tough face?

And Youklis' bunt was also laughable. Francona got what he deserved, playing small ball like a little girl. How could that not blow up in his face.

Oh, and Jeter got a clutch hit. Again.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I guess Terry Francoma, along with Bob Brenly in 2001, are evidence that strategical acumen is not necessarily a prerequisite for winning a championship.

Even with the title in 2004, I didn't like a lot of his in-game tactical decisions then and I don't like them now.

Papelbon hasn't pitched in 4 days. Why not send him out there to start the 8th inning instead of the over-the-hill Timlin? Instead, he waits to run him out there until the bases are loaded with nobody out, forcing him to work a lot harder and possibly costing him something in the ninth inning.

And Theo...will he ever learn how to put together a bullpen? Other than the last four games of the ALCS and the World Series in '04, it's been a disaster. What the fvck was he thinking by signing Rudy Seanez and Julian Tavarez and thinking they could be quality relievers? Seanez sucks and Tavarez was a nut job with the Cardinals. And he thought those guys could get big outs facing the Yankees 19 times a season?

And don't give me the payroll excuse. The Red Sox have plenty of resources too, given the prices they charge. They play in the same division as the Yankees, have to go through the Yankees to get where they want to go, and will now finish second to the Yankees in the AL East for the ninth straight season. Yet they don't want to play the Yankees' game.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Also thought then broadcast had a peculiar Fox-like look, with all the crowd shots. I really do love seeing people pray in the stands right before they get kicked in their collective stomach.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just a couple of observations I had from watching last night's game at a bar. In a place not particularly near either of those cities, more than half the bar was focused soley on the late innings of that game, both men and women.

Also, I thought it was a terrible decision to let Youkilis bunt. Let him swing away and they probably win. Guy just seems to get the job done all the time.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

goalmouth, that gif is really disturbing.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They got the right idea, but it's a flawed team. The Yankees are loaded with left-handed bats and switch hitters, so what's the excuse not to have a single lefty in the bullpen to help address your biggest rival? They addressed the bullpen in the offseason, but they missed that glaring problem -- and paid too much for the guys they got.

8. Agreed. Yankees-Red Sox this weekend is bound for overkill.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How about any of the other Yankees-Red Sox series that have taken place between Oz's post and your post, Fudgie? Overkill there too? LOL!

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That traitor Damon! ESPN.com will never amount to anything. Now pass me my bag phone.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fudgie, stop working chazp's corners.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Three years later, same old overkill for Yanks-Sawx.

Draft saved Draft deleted