1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Already sick of yankees-red sox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Except when, with a straight face, could you justify the Tigers being GOTW in those 19 years?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well actually yeah.
    Since 19 years would take you back to the 1987 season with the greatest last week of baseball damn near ever with the Tigers and Jays...
    But there were also a couple seasons in the early 1990s where they truly didnt suck

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

When Fielder was going for 50 home runs. He did it in the last series of the season, I believe, against the Yankees. 50 homers was quite rare then.

That's all I got.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Can I get a ruling, was that Arod hit "clutch"?  What if he had Kd?

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Guy, I was thinking a very similar thought.

I would go with clutch. It was the 7th inning. There were two on. The Yankees were only up by 2 at that point and there was 1-out.

If we were taking wagers, some people would have put their money on a double play.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I have agree with this particular sentiment. It's not that the Four-Letter is blowing Steinbrenner and John Henry, it's the fact that there are more intriguing games that could make or break a playoff run for several teams. With the Reds, on their tail, the Birds on the Bat bitchslapped the Cubs this afternoon, in which LaRussa and his team needed. It was nice to see the Tigers and Rangers last night. That will be a good series to watch, unless Vincente Padilla rolls back out to the mound to plunk someone. If he does that, Leyland going to beat the shit out of him on the spot.

I'm not totally against ESPN, I'm not a fan of putting the Yanks/Sox on at every chance to fill up air time. Is it a big series? Hell yeah it is, but the LLWS begins today. I heart the LLWS mascot!!

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

ESPN has to think about ratings, though, and what was the compelling reason for watching the Cubs and Cards today? Not only do the Cubs suck, but I would rather watch two teams in a playoff race than watch the Cards try to fend off the Reds by playing the Cubs.

8. I'm a Red Sox fan but I thought this was amusing

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I missed the 6 p.m. "Sports Center." What did they lead with?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can't stand the Yankees-Red Sox drama, either, but I can see where this series deserves some attention. If the Red Sox fall down here, they're (almost) done in the AL East. But ESPN won'tlet us forget how important the rivalry is, no matter what the time or place, which is annoying to anyone who doesn't live in Boston or New York.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Probably JonBenet.

FWIW, the highest-rated WS ever was Philly vs. KC in 1980, followed by:
    New York Yankees vs Los Angeles - 1978
    Oakland vs New York Mets - 1973
    New York Yankees vs Los Angeles - 1981
    New York Yankees vs Los Angeles - 1977
    Cincinnati vs Boston - 1975
    New York Mets vs Boston - 1986
    Pittsburgh vs Baltimore - 1979
    St. Louis vs Milwaukee - 1982
    Oakland vs Cincinnati - 1972

Thye 10 highest WS ratings were all between 1972 and 1986.

The six lowest WS, OTOH, have all been from 1999 on.

Anaheim vs San Francisco - 2002
    New York Yankees vs New York Mets - 2000
    Florida vs New York Yankees - 2003
    New York Yankees vs San Diego - 1998
    Arizona vs New York Yankees - 2001
    New York Yankees vs Atlanta - 1999

A lot of coasters on both lists and a lot of flyovers on both lists, which means you can't use geography alone or the Yankees' involvement alone as a predictor.

(Philly vs. KC? Who knew?)

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

all of those games took place before cable tv, the internet, etc. The majority of households had 3 - 5channels, there simply wasn't many other options.

Draft saved Draft deleted