1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alou vindicates Bartman: "I wouldn't have caught it anyway."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A light green turtleneck under a navy sweatshirt?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bubs - i do think it speaks volumes that nobody gives a fuck to make a single brewers joke, much less carry a thread with them.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's not surprising in the heat of the moment.

Whether it's a tennis player who's angry his shot was called out or a batter angry that a letter-high pitch was called a strike, athletes rarely display objective thinking moments after being denied. A crucial moment like the foul ball only magnifies the dissonance

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think what you're saying is generally true, but I've never seen a player get that upset over an uncatchable foul ball, no matter what the circumstances. If that ball had been three rows deep, you think Alou would have slammed his glove down? You don't react that strongly unless you're pretty damn sure you were going to make the catch.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Just praising those guys for funny lines, the Cubs part was secondary.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bubs - what the hell does anything have to do with anything if you approach it from that angle? you know what i was saying.

7. What, nobody has anything to say about Morrissey's gratuitous, justified slams of Mariotti?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think that papers have to create such a persona to become more attractive in this litigious, confrontational, MMA sort of society we live in now.

If we want to sell the product, the opinion purveyors are going to have to get more aggressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted