1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alou vindicates Bartman: "I wouldn't have caught it anyway."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Almost as a self defense reaction, if nothing else.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Moises, the Cubs fans (yes I'm talking to all of you in the delusional category), Blajegoevich, and the rest of the soapbox jackasses who hung Bartman out to dry...fuck each and every single one of you.

As a Cubs fan myself, I always believed that it wasn't Bartman's fault. Shit like that happens. It was how the Cubs, as a team reacted afterwards, that was more shameful than anything in that series. Gonzalez booting the ball, Prior falls apart, and then Kerry Wood melts down the next night; Moises' outburst above all started this sorry episode. The team bought the "curse" hook, line, and sinker. They accepted the fact that they were going to lose the next day. That's on them.

Too little, too late, Moises. Go back and pee on your fucking hands, asswipe.

And if anyone says that they would have never reached out to get a foul ball, you are nothing but mother fucking liars. You would have done the same exact thing, no ifs ands or buts.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm late to this, but that was fucking funny.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And that's why the Cubs don't deserve to win for another 100 years.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Rick Morrissey:
    You might have heard or read that Moises Alou has acknowledged he had no chance of catching the infamous foul ball in the eighth inning of Game 6 of the 2003 National League Championship Series at Wrigley Field. That seemed apparent to many of us as we watched the replay of the incident about 1,000 times over the last four seasons. We saw Alou reaching for a ball off the bat of Florida's Luis Castillo, then slamming down his glove in anger over what he believed was Bartman's interference down the left-field line. A 2-foot-long glove might not have helped Alou catch that ball.

Derrek Lee also said the guy had no chance.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Also awesome.

7. Can't help but think that if Bartman were some dude in a business suit or a woman, the fallout wouldn't have been anything like it was.

Society just likes picking on nerds.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Impossible. Cubs fans don't have jobs. [/Lee Elia]

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A classic rant

Not even close to SFW, unless you work at the Bada Bing.

"A fuckin' playground for the cocksuckers."

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't get the whole "what he was wearing" nonsense.

--- Cubs cap . . . like about 30,000 other people
    --- Sweatshirt . . . like about 15,000 other people (the other 20,000 were in jackets, as it was October in Chicago)
    --- Headphones . . . well, a lot of people like to hear an audio broadcast of a game they attend. Usually signifies "pretty big fan of team."
    --- Glasses . . . if only the nerd would have had Lasik surgery.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

You can provide all the testimony you want. I'll go with what I saw with my own two eyes, thanks. Bartman was in the first row, at the railing. Alou's glove was directly below his hands. There's no way to say with certainty that he would have caught it, but to say he had no chance is just absurd.

I also consider Alou's initial, instinctive reaction of slamming his glove down to be much more telling than anything he says now. No way would he have been that upset if he felt he had no chance at the ball.

And by the way, I don't blame Bartman for going for the ball.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Has it become standard procedure -- in the post-Bartman era at Wrigley or any of the other ballparks, at least for big games or postseason events -- that the fans sitting in front rows along the walls and railings all agree, loudly, to back off from foul balls off the bats of visiting players that head their way? Y'know, so their team's fielders can make any possible play?

Didn't think so.

Draft saved Draft deleted