1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alonzo Spellman feature on SportsCenter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 12, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

You've got to see this this morning. You've never seen an older-looking 35-year-old man.

Honest to God, between the receding hairline and bleached blonde hair and beard, he looks 75.

Fascinating stuff on his battle with bipolar disorder...and how he's a mixed martial arts fighter who is on his own now for the first time since prison.

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

Haven't seen Spellman yet, but I can't let that comment slip by without mentioning Jeff the Drunk from Howard Stern's wack pack. The guy is 38 years old and looks 78.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I remember interviewing Spellman back in '96 following a Bears-Packers game at Lambeau Field.

Dude was the largest, most muscular, intimidating human being I've ever laid eyes on. Absolutely immense. The only other guy that comes close, in my opinion, was Daryl Gardener of the Miami Dolphins.

I can't imagine being in the path of Spellman when he was going through one of his freak-outs back in the day.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My favorite observation from a broadcaster on Spellman:

"Looks like Tarzan ... plays like Jane."

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Former Seton Hall center Luther Wright has a similar bipolar condition. A friend produced a documentary on it.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My uncle is bipolar. It ain't easy to deal with, especially at this time of year.

7. What the hell ever happened to Luther Wright?

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I went to college with Gardener and was working for the university photo office during football picture days. He was truly one of the biggest men I've ever seen. I've been on college sidelines for years and have even photographed professional wrestling. Gardener was tall and very, very muscular. He also looked like he was about 40 when he was in school.

9. boots

boots New Member

He took the money and ran. I dunno but he is a great triva question. Many people thought he'd e an outstanding center. Luther had toomany leeches in his corne. I think that's why the bi-polaR THINGS WAS FROWNED UPON BY A FEW IN THE MEDIA.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Gardener was description-defying when he would take off his shirt during a Dolphins practice.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

speaking of ex-athletes who don't look too good, did anyone catch some of the barbecue series on Vs. last night? darryl dawkins must be pushing three bills. he's fat.

Draft saved Draft deleted