1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alomar, Blyleven are in

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 5, 2011.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I dunno. He hasn't won since he stopped doing it.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Not everyone who is in the Hall of Fame is equal. Tony Perez is not in the same ballpark as Babe Ruth.

Since the Hall doesn't differentiate between the two, I have no problem with voters, knowing they have 15 years to get someone in, deciding they are not a first-ballot guy.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Murphy's career wasn't terribly long --- he retired at 37 --- it's just that he was washed up by about 33.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bingo.

Someone didn't vote Nolan Ryan into the Hall of Fame. Same for Ripken. That's OK with you, spnited?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Show me a cop who has.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What the hell does that have to do with the debate?

7. Dick Whitman

I'm saying that it's silly to say that you have had to have lived a flawless moral life to sit in judgment of someone else's life. That's just not true. Otherwise, cops would not be able to be cops if they, like, yelled at the dog after a tough day one time.

The voters aren't electing themselves to the HOF. They are electing Roberto Alomar.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between enforcing the law and evaluating baseball players.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

A cop is ostensibly sworn to uphold and enforce the law, a codified list of statutes and regulations. What law says Alomar had to be denied first-ballot entry into the HOF, and by what right does any writer have to enforce that law?

A writer can have and express any opinion they want on Alomar. When they let that opinion get in the way of deciding what is right - whether or not he deserved to be elected to the HOF upon becoming eligible - they were wrong. That's my opinion.

10. Dick Whitman

The principle translates to both cases.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The hell they are, ridiculous comparison.

12. Dick Whitman

OK, how about this one:

"Anyone who can't throw a 90 mph fastball has no right to sit in judgment of Jack Morris, who was able to."

Draft saved Draft deleted