1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alomar, Blyleven are in

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Kent had four seasons where he was in the top 10 of MVP voting. I can check, but I doubt Sandberg had that. But one was beloved and understandably so and one was despised and understandably so.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sandberg had three seasons in the top 10 of MVP voting.

I know the Cubbies made the playoffs in 1984, but was there any additional reasoning about how he won the MVP that season? His stats are ridiculously mediocre by MVP standards. I'm not trying to shit on Ryno, but I was only 10 at the time and for whatever reason, remember him being a lot better than that. I remember Keith Hernandez finished second or third, but maybe that was a season when no one player was dominant. Maybe I'm totally wrong, like I said, I was 10 at the time. :D

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sandberg had three seasons in the top four, and one season where he won the award. He had another season where he finished 12th.

I'm not Sandberg sycophant. I think he's wildly borderline. I probably wouldn't have voted for him. But them's the facts.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Third in OPS to two guys whose teams finished at least 12 games out of first and weren't THAT much better than him.

First in offensive WAR, for whatever that is worth to people. A conversation starter, if nothing else, that purports to measure total offensive value.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Ridiculously mediocre by MVP standards from an excellent defensive second baseman is actually really awesome.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I used to think Kent was a borderline no, but now I think he's a yes. Not a slam dunk yes, but a yes. I could change my mind, but I think he's one of the top 3-4 offensive 2Bs of all time. Defense hurts him. The era hurts him. Never heard any rumors of steroids with him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he used.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Kent was seven RBIs one season from having nine straight 20 HR, 100 RBI seasons and eight of those years he hit at least .289. Pretty damn good for a second baseman.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sandberg's 1984 season completed a pretty cool run of big seasons by middle infielders with unexpected pop offensively, especially for those times. And each paid off with postseason apperances: Robin Yount with Milwaukee in 1982, Cal Ripken with Baltimore in 1983 and Sandberg.

I think Sandberg won his MVP with that one Saturday game-of-the-week performance on June 23 1984. The Sandberg game (5-for-6, 2 HR, 7 RBI, game-tying HRs in ninth and 10th off Bruce Sutter).

Draft saved Draft deleted