1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(almost) everyone's catching on to Herm The Fraud

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 15, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now, apparently, he threw his "mentor" Dick Vermeil under the bus. Courtesy profootballtalk.com:

HONEYMOON IS OVER FOR HERM

A league source tells us that the reputation of Chiefs coach Herman Edwards is taking some hits in response to his recent comments that, in the opinion of some league insiders, constitute an implicit slap at former K.C. coach Dick Vermeil.

Deflecting the suggestion that he's too conservative, Edwards on Tuesday placed blame for the team's low scoring output in the season opening loss to Cincinnati on the offense that was in place prior to his arrival.

"If the people went to watch the Kansas City Chiefs play, that's the same offense they've watched for the last five years — shifts, motions," Edwards said. "Maybe I should change, because if we're only going to score 10 points and we'll get the quarterback killed, then maybe I should change the offense."

Edwards' comments remind us of the fatherly advice offered up by Homer Simpson after he'd possibly consumed the venom of a poison blowfish. According to Homer, three simple statements are all you need to get by at work: (1) "Cover for me"; (2) "Good idea, boss!"; and (3) "It was like that when I got here."

So it's not the fault of Edwards or his coaching staff in teaching the offense or of the players assembled by King Carl Peterson in executing it. The problem, Edwards suggests, is the offense itself.

It was like that when I got here.

Hey, if the Chiefs really wanted continuity on offense, they should have given the job to offensive coordinator Al Saunders. Then again, King Carl was quick to point out on Tuesday that Saunders didn't fare much better in Week One: "[Edwards] hasn't [changed the offense]," Peterson said. "We're running our offense, the Kansas City Chiefs offense that has been run the last five years, OK? The Kansas City offense didn't score many points in Washington, D.C. [on Monday night] either, did it?"

The point here is that the offense that was put in place by Dick Vermeil and Al Saunders is an effective attack, if the team has compiled the right players to run it, the right coaches to teach it, and the right offensive coordinator to pick the plays that will be used against a given defense -- and to call the right plays at the right time (e.g., something other than a run into the middle of the line on third-and-five from the opponents' 11).

Now, Herm, that's not very nice. Dick helped you get out of NY last year and this is how you thank him? Is there anyone you won't throw under the bus to conceal your own inadequacies?

Give Bill Belichick credit: There is nothing phony about him. He'll step all over you and discard you like a three-day-old diaper if it helps him and doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself. Give me over Smiling Backstabbing Herm anyday of the week.

F. R. A. U. D. Can't wait til KC's finest sweeps those corners and figures it out! ::)

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The loss of two starting tackles (including Willie Roaf, who will be in Canton) and one of the best blocking fullbacks in the league (Tony Richardson) certainly didn't help make for a smooth transition. And really, that's where I would start to assess the blame -- personnel. If you can't block well enough, the offense will struggle. That's what I saw from the Chiefs last week.

How much of that is Herm's fault? Not sure yet, give me a month to decide that.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

OK....

Herm.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree on that.

But Herm already looking for others to blame does not bode well for the rest of his tenure.

Hopefully, he gets shitcanned in three years and ends up with the rest of the NFL phonies: On ESPN.

5. Herm is a fraud. I made some good money betting against his team last year and I plan to do the same this year.

The Jets didn't have much trouble scoring points this week with basically the same players Herm had last year. Why do so many think this guy is a good coach?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Few do.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

We play to win the game?

8. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Oh boy, this is like shooting fish in a barrel. Herm's not such a great coach? Everyone in NY that followed the Jets has known that for years. It's been the media outside NY that hasn't been paying attention. Now that Herm is out in the midwest more people are being exposed to his incompetance and more will see the truth.

Herm is an awful head coach. Period. The more games he coaches the more he proves it. Losing track of down and distance? You must be kidding. A 10 year old knows that's a pretty important piece of information to have before you call a play.

To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson - the team that hires Herm gets the coaching it deserves.

9. Herm Edwards is a better looking Rich Kotite

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

link please

11. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

KC will lose at Denver this week - with Huard at QB? in Denver? no shot - and then people will hammer him on here.

Meanwhile, Vick will dispatch TB this week, and nobody will say shit.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Vick has not matched up well against the Bucs

Draft saved Draft deleted