1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Almost ESPN-free

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 18, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why would I give two shits about Murray Chass? Murray Chass isn't even a fleck in a the sports world's stool. Murray Chass could gobble Scott Boras' tiny cock, and swallow, and it doesn't make a bit of difference.

ESPN is a sports conglomeration for brain-dead imbeciles. The ESPN "expert" tells a nationwide radio audience that Michael Crabtree holding out is no different than Sam Bradford staying in school, and not a world is said by the radio hosts. Example 489,209,394.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Thanks for keeping the debate on such a high plane.
    My point was that if you don't wish to bump into reporters carrying water buckets for agents, you're pretty much going to have to stop consuming ANY sports media.
    And I managed to stay that without being profane. Imagine.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

No, it's more like a foodie going out of his way to avoid anything with salt in it.

4. poindexter

Gee, thats a swell indictment of the profession. Nothing you hear or read from a reporter is on the up and up. I'll note that.

If that in fact is true, they do it a helluva lot less clumsily than Chris Mortenson's declaration that Crabtree holding out for higher slot money than his draft pick is no different than Sam Bradford staying in school.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bradford stayed in school to avoid going to the Lions. Good move (at least until the injury). And Crabtree is full of himself.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agree completely. I remember when it first came on as the Classic Sports Network--it presented round the clock great forgotten classic college and pro games from the 70s and 80s--I thought it was the coolest thing to be added to my cable package in years. And then ESPN bought it and absolutely frickin ruined it.

7. poindexter

The dumb ass text messages they were putting on screen during games a year or two ago.

IrishFan1: Jimmy Clausen Rocksss!!!

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Pisswater Light Cold Hard Facts rolled at about 6:40 p.m. last night on SportsCenter. It looks like they've been consistently ruining Thursday with it for several weeks.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You have got to be fucking kidding me ...<blockquote>From today's <a href="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2009-09-29-tv-analysts-coaches_N.htm">McNewspaper</a>:
    <i>Spice rack: ESPN hopes to hype records for its Green Bay-Minnesota game Monday night. Literally. ESPN, says spokesman Mike Soltys, will announce that on next Monday's broadcast of its ESPN2 SportsNation (5 p.m. ET), it will try to set a record for the most mentions of Brett Favre on a TV show — with Guinness World Records now looking for the current record. Some records should never be broken</i>.
    Also today, Bob Wolfley in the Milwaukee paper <a href="http://www.jsonline.com/sports/62766182.html">notes</a>: "On Aug. 18, the day Favre's deal was announced, and during the following day, "Brett Favre" was used 452 times on TV in Minnesota."</blockquote>http://www.startribune.com/blogs/62876637.html

Yo, Bristol ... this is officially the stupidest idea any of you have ever had. And that's covering a lot of ground. Please string the originator up as a piñata for the rest of us to smack around. Thanks.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's hilarious how much you hate ESPNZone and how frequently it sounds like you go.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The "who ya picking" stuff on all football preview shows is a joke (with the exception of GameDay, because those guys do it outside in front of sometimes hostile fans). Why not "freeze out" a guy who does poorly the previous week, have him wear a dunce cap or something. As it is, nobody remembers or cares who you picked and there are no consequences.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted