1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Almost ESPN-free

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I can remember ESPNC showing vintage NFL Films video yearbook around 7 a.m. every morning. One Thanksgiving weekend they had something they called "Thanks For the Memories" -- this was the year after Elway retired and after Reggie White retired for the first time -- and they were a bundle of NFL Films yearbooks and other related programming. They had a Barry Sanders marathon called "The Lion King." All terrific stuff. By a few years later it had well descended into shows hosted by those two unfunny twins and roller derby footage.

2. That's sort of like wondering why any foodie would go out of their way to not eat at McDonald's.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i rarely watch anything but the live broadcasts on ESPN. I'll watch some of the 11 a.m. football games before i come to work, but that's about it. Not a whole lot else out there appeals to be except for maybe PTI and Outside the Lines.
    it's just kind of a boondoggle -- ESPN is the king of force-feeding topics on the general public as if they are important -- T.O., Favre, etc.
    I'd rather read a book than watch mindless hours of sports anyway. But that's just me. if 99 percent of the country wants to see all 8 million red sox-Yankees games every season, more power to them. Me, i'll stick to the baseball package on direct TV.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

They have Roller Derby? Shit, I need to check that out!

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If they would edit the games down to 30 or 60 minutes like the NFL Network does, I think they would do a lot better.

Shit, or only show the fourth quarter of the classic games.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree, 93D. A lot of people *think* they'd watch two hours of an old game, just as it was broadcast back then, but in reality very few would. Certainly not consistently enough for ESPN or any other network to turn it into a profit center.

Bash the talking-head shows all you want (I don't watch them either), but they obviously pull in far, far better numbers than reruns, whether it's the Big Game from two days ago or Game 6 of the '75 World Series.

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

24 hour sports programming is like the bomb. You think you want it, but then, "what hath God wrought?"

8. I'm pretty sure "stupider" is not a word, so thanks for clumping yourself in that 85%.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Merriam-Webster, American Heritage and Random House dictionaries are also in the 85 percent. So is Aldous Huxley.

10. Do you say "gotten" all the time, too?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I received a PM the other day telling me that "Crappy beer #1 Hot Seat" and "Crappy beer #2 cold hard facts" have been discontinued. Perhaps some of my info is outdated.

Fine, when I do run across a current ESPN item, I'll update.

Its their experts carrying water for agents.
    This morning, on Mike and Mike (Steve Czaban was in commercial), Chris Mortensen said that its up to the 49ers to sign Mike Crabtree. Then get ready for this: He asked, is Crabtree holding out really any different than Sam Bradford staying in school an extra year for draft position?

Not a peep from Frick and Frack. Amazing.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, and this is different from Murray Chass shilling for the baseball union how?
    Agents talk. Teams don't. Agents have to audition for their clients. Teams don't. Which is why lots of writers in lots of cities do exactly what you're accusing Mort of doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted