1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Almost ESPN-free

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 18, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

With the NFL Network's Sunday highlight show in high-def now, that eliminates having to go to ESPN for NFL highlights. The MLB Network is better than ESPN's coverage by a power of two or three. I don't care about the NBA, so there is no loss there.

As a sports fan, I am almost completely free of the asshats on that network. Sure, I still go there for certain games (NFL Monday night, international soccer). But I have spent practically this whole year away from Sportscenter, Baseball Tonight and all their other talking head shows. I saw Berman's face on screen the other day, and it hit me that I haven't heard his screeches since his MNF outtakes hit the interwebs last year. Sports hasn't been this good in decades.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

College GameDay, the games and the highlight shows are the only reason to watch, and Outside the Lines.

MLB kills ESPN.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The college football GameDay show is the only studio show ESPN has managed to not totally fuck up. How they haven't is one of the miracles of modern times. That is the only non-live sports event I watch on ESPN anymore.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

College football is on tv for 15 hours each Saturday. I know I am in the minority, but I've never watched College GameDay - why would I want to watch people talk about that day's games?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Especially since Fox Soccer, Setanta and, some days, ESPN2 are showing EPL soccer at that time?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This may seem strange, but I have practically never in my life watched sports preview or highlight shows of any kind, from long before there was an ESPN. I already know about the damn game. That's why I want to watch it. I already saw the scores. That's why I don't need the highlight show.

7. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I have one gripe with MLB Network: They have multiple studio shows with the most nondescript titles. What the hell is the difference between "1st to 3rd" and "Round-Tripper"? If I'm scanning through my digital cable guide, I have no idea what they hell they have on half the time.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tino, it's all pretty much just one show. They change the titles when they rotate the studio host ex-ballplayers.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gameday is a treasure. The perfect start to a fall Saturday unless 21 is in town.

ESPN does a great job on college football.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I stopped watching Sportscenter years ago.

PTI has a slot on my DVR, and I am looking forward to catching some good soccer tomorrow morning.

Lou Holtz's lazy S drives me crazy, but I really like the production for both college football and college basketball.

I also enjoy Mel Kiper.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I could do with eliminating Desmond Howard and the peripheral guests and just go back to Fowler, Holtz & Herbstreit - that would improve that show.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I have ESPN on constantly at home. Sometimes I'm paying attention, sometimes I'm not.

Draft saved Draft deleted