1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Almost) All Things Considered

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Dec 10, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

NPR's turn to feel the burn.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98095326

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Two fewer chances to "join the conversation." I'm still waiting for the sports talk show host who is trying to get people to call to invite callers to "join the conversation" like most NPR hosts and hostesses.

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

This really surprised me. After the McDonald's windfall they got a few years ago, I thought public radio was set.

4. I'm still waiting for one with opposable thumbs.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

As long as, during the course of the "conversation" you can name your three points, A., B. and 3.

6. Hey, that's Car Talk!

The thing behind this whole move is the tacit admission that NPR West was a bad tactical move. NPR "got" Tavis Smiley for a talk show that lasted maybe two years, then ran Day to Day from out west as a mid-day show to supplant later transmittals of Morning Edition (which actually got re-run as fresh updates warranted out on the West Coast). NPR wanted a bi-coastal Morning Edition to justify NPR West's opening and the putting-out-to-pasture of Bob Edwards.

This. Failed. Badly.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This is quite meta. NPR reporter who devised a series of stories on how people deal with layoffs, gets laid off, reports on herself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/29/business/media/29levine.html?_r=1

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I didn't leave NPR, NPR left me.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe they had invested it in newspaper stock.

10. Feh. Ketzel only did the occasional "garden" story once a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted